A
Posted By
advancedOption
Jul 28, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m having this same problem. I’m on a Mac Pro (10.5.4), printing to a RICOH Aficio MP C4500.

‘No %%Bounding box: comment in header!’

I’ve checked all the settings, reset things to default, re-installed the printer, and even our I.T guys are stumped. No one seems to have posted since July 8th… has someone found a fix for this?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JB
jim_burk
Jul 28, 2008
On this printing issue with Mac OS 10.5 and CS3, I found I could print by going to Page Setup and printing from there. No idea why, but it seemed to work. I believe the issue rests with the printer manufacturers who have failed to provide updated drivers to work with the OS X. Especially when this involves older printers. Shades of Vista.
FP
flip_phillips
Oct 10, 2008
I’m having exactly the same w/ a Xerox Phaser 6180.

A call to Xerox shows that they have no solution. Tech support via Adobe still in progress but is not much further than the ‘reinstall the drive reset the preferences’ stage.
FP
flip_phillips
Oct 10, 2008
Sorry to follow up to my own message – but

If one looks at the generated PostScript there is a

%%BoundingBox: (atend)

in the header, with a valid bounding box (ta da) at the end:

%%BoundingBox: 0 0 612 792

So, this makes me think that there is something up with CS3 or the PPDs (can’t remember if there’s something in the PPDs that tells you its OK to put the BB at the end, isn’t that an encapsulated postscript sort of thing?)

This explains, maybe, why some folks have had good results using different printer descriptions.
FP
flip_phillips
Oct 10, 2008
Ugg- third followup of my own, but I believe I’ve figured it out and it is Photoshop’s ‘fault’

Here’s what I did-

1) Printed image from Preview – dumped to PS file.
1a) Printed image from Preview – prints just fine.

2) Printed image from Photoshop – dumped to PS file.
2a) Printed image from Phosotop – BBox error, no printing.
3) compare!

The major differences are where the code specifies the image. The image is 819×724 pixels, natively, and in Preview the image ‘data block’ (if you will) is specified as being:

/Width 819
/Height 724

So far, so good. The Preview-generated postscript file also has a

/Interpolate true

Note from above that the Preview-generated file prints perfectly.

Now- looking at the Photoshop-generated postscript, one sees:

/Width 825
/Height 725

Very curios – the image isn’t the same size as it is -natively- but, maybe Photoshop is doing something crazy and padding out the image or some such.

Note that it won’t print properly from Photoshop. (Yes, that’s why we’re all here)

If one were to insert

/Interpolate true

into the Photoshop-generated postscript at the proper place in the image specification THE FILE WILL PRINT.

My hypothesis is that the image dimensions are poorly specified and that, since the BoundBox statement is at the end of the file, it is being ‘gobbled up’ by the image command (ID) (who, again, has been told to ‘eat’ more data than it should). Thus, the interpreter in the printer freaks out because it has hit the end-of-file without reading the proper bounding box.

I will attempt to get this to the proper support people, but you know how that goes.

Sure looks like its an error in PShop.
FP
flip_phillips
Oct 13, 2008
Even -more- info. I’m seeing the same No %%BoundingBox error when printing from other applications (text, some graphics) to the Adobe PDF printer (version 9).

This starts to suggest that there’s something up with the cgpdftops CUPS filter?

Argh! Crazier and crazier.
DH
Dale_Hoffman
Mar 20, 2009
Printing glitch; Photoshop CS3
"No %%BoundingBox: comment in header!"

This thread is the only one my search has returned, so I’ll add my 2 cents to the mix.

"No %%BoundingBox: comment in header!"

I get this message in the print dialog box when sending a Photoshop file to my Apple LaserWriter 8500. The file eventually prints, but it takes a couple of minutes regardless of complexity or size.

Other applications such as Illustrator, InDesign have no such problem.

We have another computer with identical specs and software installed which does not exhibit this problem.

Other printers such as a Xerox 7760 and an Epson 3800 do not return this notation.

I’ve reinstalled the LaserWriter 8500’s driver and trashed Photoshop’s Preference file without results.

Here are specifics:

MacPro OS 10.5.6
6GB RAM
Photoshop CS3 10.0.1

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections