KP
Posted By
Keith Plechaty
Jul 29, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m not confident about the best workflow for doing hi res work in photoshop. Currently, I work for a book company and I’m creating front covers that include several separate stock images. So far, I have been opening up each separate stock image, silhouetting it with the pen tool or magic wand, creating a mask to get rid of the background, blurring the mask a little so the edges are not so sharp, saving the image as a PSD, and then opening up the book cover and placing the image into Photoshop as a smart object. I then size it down as needed. Does this sound like it makes sense? When you silhouette one object in its own document, do you save the silhouetted file even after you’ve placed it into Photoshop as a smart object?

Thanks so much for the help.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Jul 29, 2008
I save everything that pertains to a job. Saving is much faster than redoing.

also if you have CS3 use refine edge.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 29, 2008
Keith,

At the very least, you should have the original source image, untouched; plus a master layered file (and label it "MASTER") with all your image edits and corrections. Everything you need for your book cover, promotional pieces, advertising, catalogs, Web graphics, etc., should be a new file that is based on and generated from the master art.

Neil

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections