MD
Posted By
Michelle_Donahoe
Jul 30, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Wondering is anyone can help me with this question….
I want to upgrade my PS 5.0 LE to the latest version CS3. When I call adobe the upgrade price for the version I have it’s $549, but any other version 7.0 or higher is only $199. Is there truly a difference in the contents of the upgrade or is adobe charging more because my version just older and costed less?? I just want to purchase the CS3 upgrade for $199 but I’m afraid it won’t work even though my gut feeling is that it will. Does anyone have an answer for me??

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 30, 2008
Michelle,

Adobe’s current upgrade policy for Photoshop (you can read it in detail on the Adobe Store’s pages) says that v7.x is the oldest version of Photoshop you can use to to upgrade to CS3.0. Your PS 5.0LE is not only two versions older, but it is a "crippled" app. "LE" stands for "Limited Edition" meaning that it does not have the full functionality of v5; and certainly not v7. If you were to purchase just the $199 upgrade, you will not be able to get it to work as it depends upon a valid v7 or later serial number.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 30, 2008
Michelle,

Also, it’s occurred to me that you did not detail to us which computer or operating system you are using. Or how much RAM or free hard drive space you have. Before you spend a nickel, let’s go over that as well.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 30, 2008
Michelle,

Here are Photoshop’s system requirements. But be aware that even if you work on small images and don’t keep a number of apps or operations open or active, these are absolutely barebones minimum (particularly RAM, hard disk space and monitor resolution) and do not provide for a very good Photoshop experience.

Macintosh

PowerPC® G4 or G5 or multicore Intel processor
Mac OS X v10.4.8-10.5 (Leopard)
512MB of RAM
64MB of video RAM
2GB of available hard-disk space (additional free space required during installation) 1,024×768 monitor resolution with 16-bit video card
DVD-ROM drive
QuickTime 7 software required for multimedia features
Internet or phone connection required for product activation
MD
Michelle_Donahoe
Jul 30, 2008
I just bought a new imac. Intel core, 2gb hard disk space, OS 10.5.4. Ironically, I meet the requirements, but I don’t really want to upgrade, I’m being forced to do it. As you can see, my system requires CS3 versions. I used to own a graphic design business but I no longer do, I just want the programs for myself for fun stuff. The new versions of these programs are going to overwhelm me and I truly don’t have to time to learn them, I have a full time art business that I need to focus on. And now it looks as if I have to spend about $750 to update my photoshop and Illustrator if I want to use them ever again (if I can even figure them out!)

Does anyone know what the student cost of PS CS3 is?? I’m actually signing up for a fine art class hopefully this fall.
B
Buko
Jul 30, 2008
Photoshop Elements is more equivalent to Photoshop5 LE and costs around $99
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 30, 2008
Michelle,

Does anyone know what the student cost of PS CS3 is?? I’m actually signing up for a fine art class hopefully this fall.

I believe you have to be a full-time enrolled student or faculty.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 30, 2008
Michelle,

Buko makes a point: Photoshop Elements 6 is a powerful consumer product that has many of the features of full-tilt Photoshop. If you don’t need to do work for print reproduction, it may be what you’re looking for. I’ve seen it for under $90.

Neil
R
Ram
Jul 31, 2008
Having recently gone through an episode of frustration, anger and general malaise dealing with Photoshop Elements 6 for a little over three weeks, I must repeat that I would not normally recommend it to anyone even if it were freeware. However, since Michelle is coming from an LE edition, she just may find it suitable. I can’t put myself in her situation. :/

Neil already points out Elements is not suitable for print reproduction. I would categorically add that it’s not usable either if you are a photographer shooting RAW. I kind of forget for what other purpose(s) folks buy Photoshop… oh, yeah, there’s that web thing…
CB
charles badland
Jul 31, 2008
It might be my bias of coming from years of using Photoshop, but I find Photoshop Elements interface extremely annoying and unintuitive. Drives me nuts trying to use it. If there is any way for you to purchase an Academic version of Photoshop CS3 (about 1/2 price of retail), I’d recommend that over Elements.
R
Ram
Jul 31, 2008
but I find Photoshop Elements interface extremely annoying and unintuitive

Ditto!
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 31, 2008
One way that Michelle can find out for herself is by downloading the 30-day demo of Elements.

Neil
B
Buko
Jul 31, 2008
I find Photoshop Elements interface extremely annoying and unintuitive.

I bet you’d just love photoshop 5 LE the precursor to Elements which is lightyears ahead.
R
Ram
Jul 31, 2008
Buko,

Nope. The PsElements 6 UI is by far the butt-ugliest I have seen in any application anywhere on this planet. Check it out for yourself.

I’ve used the LE versions bundled with scanners.

Additionally, the Organizer/Editor concept is for the birds, let alone its "Catalogs" paradigm. I’ll stop. It’s better to just forget the whole thing.
MD
Michelle_Donahoe
Jul 31, 2008
WOW Thanks for all of your advice! I LOVE this forum, it’s more helpful than everything else I’ve tried. What I didn’t mention is that I worked 4 years with photoshop 7 on my old computer which was a PC/Dell, before that I worked 8 years in photoshop on my mac (don’t remember which versions, 6.0??). I purchased photoshop 5.0 LE to get by until I could afford to buy a newer version, I don’t do graphic design any more so I thought I could get by with the 5.0 LE. I just wanted it for photo alteration/re-touching/saving photos for my website. I have not even tried the 5.0 because as you know I can’t load it. It sounds like if I’ve been working on 7.0 (I know it backwards!) I won’t like the Elements 6?? I downloaded the trial and I can’t open it, VERY frustrating! It’s hard to explain, there’s not really an icon that shows "application" I tried downloading it twice and the same thing happened, I literally can’t open it.

I’m not sure what to do because I feel like the CS3 is overkill for what I’d use it for (and expensive). The cheapest I found the upgrade from 5.0LE was $466. Yet, I don’t want to be annoyed with elements 6 either.

Can any of you compare Elements 6 it to photoshop 7 ??
R
Ram
Jul 31, 2008
Michelle would be better off with the free GIMP.
MD
Michelle_Donahoe
Jul 31, 2008
Does GIMP have a layers palette??
R
Ram
Jul 31, 2008
Does GIMP have a layers palette??

Yes, it does.

I use Photoshop CS3 on my Mac desktop machine and GIMP on my windoze laptop.
CB
charles badland
Jul 31, 2008
Has anyone used.. what is it called
Pixelmator?
<http://www.pixelmator.com/>
$59
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 31, 2008
Elements is not all bad. Not everyone tries it with such high expectations as Ramón and for many users it is all they will ever want.

Not everyone shoots thousands of raw images at a time and needs to process them in the full ACR software. For those of us who grew to love the quirky user interface of Photoshop (are you listening Mr Nack?) the interface of Elements is strange and unaccustomed. I have found however that a lot of the "Take you by the hand" features can be bypassed and the program is excellent for what it is!

As far as printing is concerned, if prints are to be done on the desktop or ordered on line, the lack of CMYK and all it entails, will not be noticed.

Just trying to get a bit of balance in here. 🙂
R
Ram
Jul 31, 2008
(are you listening Mr Nack?)

LOL! 😀

You’d have to explain to him what listen means.

As for PsElements, it’s MASSIVELY overpriced. 😉
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 31, 2008
Michelle:

You mention that you had Photoshop 7 for your PC?

If you do have that, you could contact Customer Service and ask for a CS3 Cross-upgrade for Mac.

But do it quickly because once CS4 ships, you will have lost the chance to get an upgrade.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 31, 2008
Michelle,

The key advantage to upgrading (crossgrading) from PS v7 as Ann suggests is that this is your BEST opportunity to get a current Photoshop on your system for a substantial saving. Call ’em and ask!

Neil

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections