Daniel_Stonek
Aug 1, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OS 10.4.11 G4/400
CS2
I am working on this configuration from around three years. Today I opened and worked on some files.
Suddenly, I started to get "Could not complete your request because of a program error" or "Could not create a new document because of a program error".
The recent changes were the upgrading to 10.4.11(two or three days ago), a new printer installation from setup CD (Canon iP4500) and CD-PrintLabel software (yesterday). (This was the only other opened application when the problem becomes).

I was reading other related posts but got no solution.
Command-Option-Shift Start Photoshop asked to erase its settings. Because I was not sure, and did not have a backup, I selected ‘no’. I never could get this message again repeating the procedure.

I restarted in safe mode and I could open files in PS.
I also am able to create and edit files log in from another user. What do you suggest?
Thanks in advance.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Aug 1, 2008
Did you update using the combo updater?

You might do that if not.
DS
Daniel_Stonek
Aug 1, 2008
Hi Buko,
Do you mean OS upgrade?
I only performed the upgrade when the OS asked there was a new one. Just an authomatic procedure.
Remember that I can work fine in PS logged as another user.
B
Buko
Aug 1, 2008
Your user is corrupt go to apple.com and get the 10.4.11 combo and install it. that might clear things up and can’t hurt.
DS
Daniel_Stonek
Aug 1, 2008
Reinstalled 10.4.11 combo PPC but the problem is still here. Before installation I noticed that the finder file browser windows did not contain Hard A and Hard B (my two disks) icons on the upper left column as usual. Now only Hard B is displayed.
I also had some problems on Hard A (disk utility) I ‘fixed’ booting from Hard B. Quotings are because after repairing, it told me ‘nothing to repair’. At this time I don’t remember if this message was from disk utility or Cocktail.
Anyway, I checked again both disks and they are verified. Thanks,
Daniel
PS: logged as another user both HD icons are displayed.
As you say, I suppose there’s a user setting causing this issue
L
Lundberg02
Aug 1, 2008
If Hard A is your boot disk and is fully backed up, wipe and restore. If you have the same problem, your disk is dying.

Before doing that, you could try removing all USB devices and plugging them in again while the system is shut down.
DS
Daniel_Stonek
Aug 1, 2008
Hard B is almost a mirror of Hard A (CCC).
I’ll try to wipe restore but I still think that is a user setting error. I have no problems working as another user.
I had to give write permissions to staff group to work on problematic user files.
R
Ram
Aug 2, 2008
An Archive and Install of the OS, followed by the 10.4.11 update should take less than one hour and it would get you working again.
DS
Daniel_Stonek
Aug 2, 2008
Ramón: how do you suggest to perform it safely?
I am mainly a photoshop user, I’m not strong in OS issues. Thanks.
R
Ram
Aug 2, 2008
An Archive and Install of the OS is inherently safe. It’s always a wise idea to be fully backed up, though.

The Archive and Install will create a folder named Old System, or Old Something Or Other, where all your old stuff is kept, but it gives you a fresh system on your currently corrupted account and on all accounts.
B
Buko
Aug 2, 2008
Archive and install
DS
Daniel_Stonek
Aug 2, 2008
‘One or more files in the Adobe Application Support folder, necessary for running Photosop, are missing. Please run the Photoshop installer and re-install Photoshop’
I’m not sure to reinstall, is there another way to fix it? Thank you.
DS
Daniel_Stonek
Aug 2, 2008
It only asked me for reactivation. It seems it is fine again. Thank you all.
DS
Daniel_Stonek
Aug 2, 2008
I use one of the three following methods to open a PS file. File-Open; Double-Click; Drag and drop to PS icon.
On both CS and CS2 only works the first one.
RH
Ron_Hohn
Aug 2, 2008
For some unknown reason [to me] when launching Photoshop 7.0.1, it shows the splash panel, then displays message "An unexpected and unrecoverable problem has occurred because of a program error. Photoshop will now exit."

I am not sure whether my last launch of Photoshop was before or after upgrading my G5 to Mac OS 10.5.4

I deleted the application, re-installed 7.0 from the disk, upgraded to 7.0.1 then did the G5 upgrade of 7.0.1

Problem persists. Photoshop will not launch.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 3, 2008
Ron,

Photoshop 7.x will NOT run under Mac OS X 10.5.x. And you cannot use Classic emulation either.

Solution: Restore your system to OS X 10.4.11 or upgrade Photoshop to CS3.

Neil
B
Buko
Aug 3, 2008
Ron just restore your system to Tiger using the Backup of your system you made before upgrading. Also you might want to get CS3 now as Adobe seems to have adopted a 3 version back policy. Once CS4 is released you will not be eligible for upgrade pricing
R
Ram
Aug 4, 2008
Once CS4 is released you will not be eligible for upgrade pricing

Once CS4 is announced you will not be eligible for upgrade pricing
B
Buko
Aug 4, 2008
Yeah that’s what I meant. B)
DS
Daniel_Stonek
Aug 6, 2008
And my original problem came again.
I double clicked on two files. First opened fine and the second sent me the same error message. I suspect this is something about Canon IP4500 printer installation. I have installed the regular printer driver and another installation to share it to samba network. I followed these instructions to allow remote Windows users to use full printer features.
< http://blog.codefront.net/2007/02/05/sharing-a-usb-printer-f rom-mac-os-x-to-windows/> Thanks for any suggestion.
JR
JAMIE_REDDY
Sep 11, 2008
am using potoshop cs3 . my system configrarion is 1gb ram and msi motherboard with athlon 4000 proceser .

latter it works fine . but 2 days back i formate my hard disk and i reinstalled o/s winxp . but WHEN I SAVING THE FILE IN POTOSHOAP CSE , I AM GETTING "YOUR REQUEST COULD NOT COMPLEET BECAUSE OF PROGRAM ERROR "
PLESE GIVE ME SOLUTION .
JAMIE REDDY , HYDRABAD.
R
Ram
Sep 11, 2008
Jamie,

You must have taken the wrong turn in Albuquerque. You are now posting in the Adobe Photoshop Macintosh forum. The Windows forum is just down the hall.

You’re welcome here, of course, but you’ll get better responses over there.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 11, 2008
Jamie,

And when you do repost at the PS/Win forum, please do not type in ALL CAPS. They are hard to read and give the impression of SHOUTING.

Thanks.

Neil
SF
steve_fortson
Sep 13, 2008
I would update using the combo updater.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections