BR
Posted By
b_radical
Aug 3, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OK Adobe, I’ve got a question for you. I’m a novice here and what the little work I’ve contracted I’ve relied heavily on video and book tutorials. I’ve done OK with the level of understanding I’ve attainted, but now I’d like to move on to something a bit more creative and I’m at a loss here…

What I want to do is to use about 20 small images (think rectangle thumbnails) and arrange them in a perfect circle around a circular image. The 20 small images need to be evenly spaced around the circle.

This is sort of what I am talking about with the way each child is evenly spaced around the earth…

<http://montessori-n-such.com/images/P7440.jpg>

Well, I could really use your expertise Adobe!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 3, 2008
b,

I could really use your expertise Adobe!

Well, Adobe won’t be answering your questions — this is a user-to-user forum. But a group of your peers, Photoshop users like yourself, pass through these doors daily and will see them. Look for some responses over the next few days.

Thanks.

Neil
B
Buko
Aug 3, 2008
Make a circle and place your images around it.
BR
b_radical
Aug 3, 2008
"this is a user-to-user forum."

Thanks, Neil. It’s a manner of speaking. Even though you use your real name (I’m guessing), for all intents and purposes internet discussion forums are largely anonymous and it isn’t uncommon to refer to users by the name of the forum.
BR
b_radical
Aug 3, 2008
" Make a circle and place your images around it."

Thank you Buko. What I’m wondering is if there is some way to create a path that those 20 images follow automatically and exactly so that I don’t have manually transform/rotate the images one after another and hope that it’s close to exact.

The reason I ask is because I seem to recall doing something like this accidentally once.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Aug 3, 2008
How about using the Polygon Tool and set it up with 20 sides. Draw maybe a filled shape on a separate layer and use it as a pattern to line up your little images by hand. You’ll have to transform > rotate each of your little images progressively by intervals of 18ΒΊ to have them line up on the perimeter segments assuming your original polygon isn’t as some strange angle. To assure yourself that four sides (top, bottom, right, and left) are at 0ΒΊ 90ΒΊ 180ΒΊ and 270ΒΊ draw your polygon while holding down the shift key.
B
Buko
Aug 3, 2008
I suppose you could write a script.

If I were ever do this, It most likely it would only be only once.

for me automating this task would be fairly useless.

If you want the images to be equally spaced make a 20 point Star with the Polygon tool.
JP
jean_p
Aug 3, 2008
I’d do it in illustrator.
BR
b_radical
Aug 3, 2008
Thank you Buko & Welles. It seems you guys are thinking along similar lines. I’d not thought to do something like this, but it would ensure my images aren’t misaligned. Thanks for the tips!
BR
b_radical
Aug 3, 2008
Hey Jean, is there a specific tool or technique you would use? I apologize in advance if it seems I am asking you to ‘do it for me,’ but if there is some jargon that describes what I am going for then I could search for a tutorial!

Thanks!
R
Ram
Aug 3, 2008
Β… it isn’t uncommon to refer to users by the name of the forum.

Huh???

Certainly not here or in any other forum I visit. :/
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 3, 2008
b,

it isn’t uncommon to refer to users by the name of the forum.

Actually, not to blow this up out of proportion, I’ve been a host with the Adobe forums for some 12 years or so now, and that’s never been the case. But as we do get new visitors from time to time who assume they ARE speaking with Adobe staff here, I wanted to be sure we’re all on the same page.

That said, thanks for joining our group! And I’m glad some of the crew has already piped in with solutions.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 3, 2008
b,

To answer your question, Welles’ solution seems to be the most straight-forward if you’re already in Photoshop, and it shouldn’t take long to accomplish the job.

Neil
BR
b_radical
Aug 3, 2008
Yea No Problem Neil,

I see. There had been some confusion in the past. It’s good not to make that mistake again. But yea, the collective input here will be known by me as "Adobe." Nothing too crazy, more like s ‘hello all’ kind of greeting. Thanks again for the tips, I’m lucky to have all of you guys out there.
B
Buko
Aug 3, 2008
the collective input here will be known by me as "Adobe."

Then you will be wrong. Just because I use their software does not make me Adobe.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 3, 2008
b,

Nothing too crazy, more like s ‘hello all’ kind of greeting.

Then please just say that. And not be tempted to append it with "Adobe". It’ll keep further comments about it from the folks here from haunting you. <g> And, of course, we want you to feel more than welcome here.

Besides, if we were "Adobe", we’d be getting paid for participating here! πŸ™‚

Thanks.

Neil
P
Phosphor
Aug 3, 2008
Where’s my check?!
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 3, 2008

[Adobe sent it last week, Ed. You gotta check your mail more often…] <g>

Neil
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 4, 2008
"Just because I use their software does not make me Adobe."

Well said Buko.

These are real posts here, generated by real people who are here to help, not by some impersonal ‘Tron’.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 4, 2008
Yah, I got my ‘Adobe’ check in the mail last week. Spent it already. I think it’s a part of the President’s Stimulus Package.
R
Ram
Aug 4, 2008
Hey, I did get a check from Adobe recently: a refund check for PsElements. πŸ˜€
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 4, 2008
πŸ™‚

Neil

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections