Posted By
Martin_Hoehn
Aug 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all!
I´m missing a function to highlight shadows and lights in the picture like I can do in Lightroom or Camera-Raw by clicking the small triangles in the upper corners of the histogram. Is there a similar function in Photoshop? I think there must be a function like this, but trying an searching the web gets no success. Maybe someone can help.

LG
Martin

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DK
Doug_Katz
Aug 4, 2008
Press the option key as you drag the sliders?
MH
Martin_Hoehn
Aug 5, 2008
Hi Doug
Thanks for you posting. But I don´t understand what you mean. There is the Window "Histogram" to show the current distribution of the brightness in the picture. And there are various actions available in Photoshop that modify the values for shadows and lights with risk of cutting them. Where do you think I can press the option key as I drag the sliders?

BTW: I made a mistake and posted my question in the "Mac" section of this board, but I use PSD at a PC. Do you mean the "Mac" key with the Option Key? Is the option key the "CTRL" key on my PC? Sorry for this question but I´m from Germany and we use other notations for the keys.

Does someone maybe have an other idea to solve my problem?

LG
Martin
F
Freeagent
Aug 5, 2008
Option = alt on a PC.

Post #1 answers your question, but personally I don’t think it’s very useful. I just look at the histogram to see if it’s "backed up against the wall".
R
Ram
Aug 5, 2008
Where do you think I can press the option key as I drag the sliders?

The LEVELS window.

Those little triangles at the bottom of the Histogram in the LEVELS dialog box window are the sliders.

But we don’t do Windows here.

Generally the Command key on the Mac translates to the Control key on Windows.

What you want to press is the ALT key as you move the sliders.

Please post in the Windows forum.
F
Freeagent
Aug 5, 2008
But we don’t do Windows here

I do

<running for cover>
R
Ram
Aug 5, 2008
Not here you don’t Freeagent. 😀
F
Freeagent
Aug 5, 2008
OK…guess it’s time to go home now anyway. 🙂
MH
Martin_Hoehn
Aug 5, 2008
@Freeagent & Ramon:
Thanks! Now it works.
But this seems not to be as comfortable as it works in lightroom. Pressing the Option (ALT) key shows only the cutted lights or shadows while the rest of the picture is hidden. And this seem to work only in the "level" dialog. All the other tools that can cause cutted lights can´t use this funcion.

Sorry for posting in the Mac area. I will do better next time 😉

Martin
R
Ram
Aug 5, 2008
Martin,

I´m from Germany

Irgendwie hatte ich das gar nicht gelesen. Wir hätten uns sonst ganz ruhig auf Deutsch unterhalten können. 🙂

Vielleicht weißt Du nicht, daß es hier auch ein Adobe Photoshop-Forum auf Deutsch gibt:

<http://www.adobe.com/de/community/index.html>

Grüße aus Nordkalifornien.
F
Freeagent
Aug 5, 2008
Martin

Down the hall, two doors on the left. Don’t be put off by the sign that says "Quiet. We’re trying to think here."

OK, I’ll go now.

Edit: we have germans too!
MH
Martin_Hoehn
Aug 5, 2008
@Ramon: Thanks for the link of the German Photoshop board. Google linked me to this English forum and it seemd to be a very active forum. So I saw no need to look for a German one.

Unter "Ramón G Castañeda" erwarte ich in einem englischen Forum aber eigentlich auch keinen Deutsch sprechenden User 😉

@Freeagent:

Down the hall, two doors on the left. Don’t be put off by the sign that says "Quiet. We’re trying to think here."

Sorry, but my english seems to be not good enough ti undersand what you tried to tell me with this 🙁

Martin
F
Freeagent
Aug 5, 2008
Martin

Don’t worry, it was just a little (inside) joke. It wasn’t directed at you, so I apologize if you took it the wrong way.

What I meant was simply that you’re most welcome in the Windows forum. Posting in the "wrong" forum is not very popular – and perhaps rightfully so, since many problems are specific to the operating system. Yours was, in a way.

I’m not native english-speaking either, but I find that these "international" or english forums have the most expertise concentrated in one place, so this is where I go.

See you around 🙂
MH
Martin_Hoehn
Aug 5, 2008
Thanks to all of you!
Seems so be a very good forum and I think I will stay on the english side.

Martin
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 5, 2008
Did Martin say you could address him as "Du"? 😉

And both sides of the Photoshop forum can be informative.

I think they are just a bit more tolerant on the Windows side.
MH
Martin_Hoehn
Aug 5, 2008
Hi John

Don´t worry about the "DU" in Ramons posting. It is usual for a long time to say "DU" in german forums.

Because of the MAC – PC problem I can say that I worked on a Mac for severals years in the past and I didn´t never understand the rivalry between both "worlds".

Martin
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 5, 2008
Martin,

You’re more than welcome to hang out here with us Mac users. But for Windows-specific questions, it is best if they’re posted in the Windows forum.

As for rivalry between Mac and Win platforms, most of us believe you should use the computer you feel most comfortable with; or that gets your work done best…

….even though we KNOW Macs are better. 🙂

Neil
MH
Martin_Hoehn
Aug 5, 2008
:-))

we should close this thread..
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 5, 2008
Not to worry, Martin. We don’t do platform flame wars anymore.

Neil
F
Freeagent
Aug 5, 2008
Exactly, Neil. The Great Platform War seems to have silently died, and I think it was about time.

The next time I get some serious cash coming my way, hopefully soon, I intend to buy a MacPro. It’s a fantastic machine, beautifully put together. The fact that I intend to run Vista on it is just a matter of what I choose to work with. Not a big deal at all.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections