DN
Posted By
d_newcomb
Aug 7, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Please see my previous thread of the disaster that is installing CS3 on Leopard 10.5.4 If anyone is still out there that has followed my 5 days of agony–I was finally sent a new dvd. SAME FAILED INSTALLATION MESSAGE, which is "Component Installation Failed". Is anyone running CS3 on 10.5.4? Here is the last part of the log–the only part that showed BUG or ERROR:
Checking operation result for {E1654C7B-8CBF-4301-8B8A-CFA1EB656F4D} Adobe Color Common Settings
[ 0] Wed Aug 6 21:47:50 2008 ERROR
Skipping operation because required operation failed with code: 2 Setting dependent operation result
[ 0] Wed Aug 6 21:47:50 2008 DEBUG
Popped
[ 0] Wed Aug 6 21:47:50 2008 INFO
No operation. We’re done:
[ 0] Wed Aug 6 21:48:13 2008 DEBUG
Operations complete
CheckSwitchTo for complete
complete will participate in the workflow

Anyone out there that can understand this?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Aug 7, 2008
call tech support. install issues are free.
DN
d_newcomb
Aug 7, 2008
I’m sorry to say I was on the phone with them for 3 days last week and they were no help.
R
Ram
Aug 7, 2008
If you have spent that much time on this issue already, the prudent thing is to back up all your data, wipe your drive, then install the OS and all applications from scratch from the original media and restore your data.
B
Buko
Aug 7, 2008
If your computer will run Tiger. Run Tiger.
B
Buko
Aug 7, 2008
yes I’ve run CS3 under Leopard but all installs were done in Tiger.
EN
Eugene_Norris
Aug 7, 2008
Is anyone running CS3 on 10.5.4?

Yes, on an iMac 2.16.

The part of the log you showed [is this an Adobe install log?] seems to indicted that a debugger was invoked and ran to completion. I don’t have any insight into this, but it seems an odd action for an installation. My install logs don’t mention DEBUG.
CJ
Cindy_Johnston
Aug 7, 2008
I tried the migration assistant when I moved from a G5 to an iMac. Worked fine for CS2, but when trying to upgrade to CS3 I had "Component Installation Failed" out the wazoo. I was on the phone with Adobe for hours. I believe the good people here told me to wipe the drive and do a clean install, and it’s been fine ever since.
DN
d_newcomb
Aug 7, 2008
I guess there is some technology I am not understanding. Why will it install Dreamweaver perfectly but require wiping out my drive to install CS3 if, as Adobe says, "Mac OS X Leopard—the latest version of Apple’s operating system—delivers an elegant, productive new computing experience for creative professionals. Adobe and Apple have been
collaborating closely for months", blah blah. . .
CJ
Cindy_Johnston
Aug 7, 2008
Acrobat installed perfectly but nothing else would.
DN
d_newcomb
Aug 7, 2008
Hmm. . .interesting, Cindy.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 7, 2008
Why will it install Dreamweaver perfectly but require wiping out my drive to install CS3

Sounds like it may be a local system issue; not the application or operating system per se.

Neil
DN
d_newcomb
Aug 7, 2008
Pardon my ignorance, Neil, but how does local system from the os?
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 7, 2008
d,

I’m thinking beyond the application and OS…perhaps a font, hard drive, connection, permissions, other software conflict or incompatibility, DVD or other peripheral, RAM or other problem, etc., and not necessarily the encoding of the application or OS.

Neil
DN
d_newcomb
Aug 8, 2008
Ah, okay, thanks.I’ll ponder that one.
R
Ram
Aug 8, 2008
d,

Even though the various Adobe applications come bundled in various flavor of "suites", the individual programs are developed by different teams, in different cities even, with various degrees of (lack of) communications. What happens with Dreamweaver, acquired from the former Macromedia, is utterly irrelevant to the behavior of Photoshop.
DN
d_newcomb
Aug 13, 2008
If anyone is still following this, the advice to install Tiger was a complete and total disaster. As far as my experience is going, NEVER revert to an older system. My mail, documents, everything is a complete mess, has to be hand "carried" to the new/old system, apps don’t work because they are not the correct version for the new/old system, etc. "Menu/Archive" Mail in my clone startup disk (leopard) doesn’t work, so I can’t get my mail to Tiger. I wish I had never heard of Adobe Photoshop Upgrade.
B
Buko
Aug 13, 2008
If you go back to Tiger You need to wipe your drive. and start fresh. Since you upgraded to Leopard most of us who do this backup our drives so we have something to go back to if the new system is not what its supposed to be.

Leopard is the first system that does not allow An Archive and install to go back to the previous system. Again you can thank Apple for this.
GP
Gary_Politzer
Aug 17, 2008
I would go with Ramon’s advice:

If you have spent that much time on this issue already, the prudent thing is to back up all your data, wipe your drive, then install the OS and all applications from scratch from the original media and restore your data.

Naturally you have a backup, so you haven’t lost anything, right? CS3 will install just fine over a fresh Leopard system.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections