DN
Posted By
d_newcomb
Aug 2, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have OS 10.5.4 and a PS CS3 dvd that will not install. I have been on the phone with Adobe for 3 days. I have tried every single solution offered up to cleanscript 2 through 4–4 times in a row each as per the guy on the phone. I tried permissions, fonts to the desktop, loading on an external drive, you name it. Zip. At what point can I assume I have a bad dvd? Or can anyone offer any other tips? I’m seriously ill at this point.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DN
d_newcomb
Aug 2, 2008
One more thing. I forgot to deactivate CS2 before attempting to install CS3. Could that be it? Should I reinstall CS2, activate it, then deactivate it, then try installing CS3 again? And one more thing. I also created a new user account and that didn’t work either.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 2, 2008
d,

Do you see a specific error message?

Neil
DN
d_newcomb
Aug 2, 2008
Yes, it is the component installation failed and PS CS3 installation failed.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 2, 2008
Should I reinstall CS2, activate it, then deactivate it, then try installing CS3 again?

Definitely try that.

Also trash all Photoshop Prefs.

Failure to deactivate may be the reason that you can’t install CS3 but you didn’t need to un-install CS2 before installing CS3 anyway.

And try installing from inside a new User’s Account too.

If CS3 still won’t install, I recommend that you do an OSX Archive & Install
F
Freeagent
Aug 2, 2008
I’m on Vista and so a long way from home, but the "component install failed" should point to one of the "secondary" payloads such as color settings. For instance, I believe a corrupt icc profile already present could trip up installing color settings.
DN
d_newcomb
Aug 2, 2008
To clarify, I did not uninstall PS 2, rather I did not deactivate it. The cleanscript 2-4 wiped out all prefs plus we (myself and Adobe Tech guy) went in and did a manual removal of ALL Adobe products. There is nothing Adobe anywhere on my computer now. And we did create a new user account. In fact, two of them! One with a password and another without a password (as per Adobe guy). Neither would install CS3 and both had the same component installation failed notice. Thanks, Ann, I will try the CS2 reinstall and reactivate, then deactivate and install CS3. I still am interested in any additional suggestions anyone may have.
DN
d_newcomb
Aug 2, 2008
Color settings was removed.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 2, 2008
You should not need to de-activate CS2 once you have re-installed it — you can have both CS2 and CS3 activated on your computer.
DN
d_newcomb
Aug 2, 2008
Ann, previously you said
Failure to deactivate may be the reason that you can’t install CS3 so now I am confused.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 2, 2008
The trouble may have arisen because you trashed CS2 before de-activating it.

If you leave CS2 installed, you can keep it activated in addition to CS3.

But do try an Archive & Install of OSX too and see if that helps.

Other steps you could take include running Cocktail to remove all Caches and running DiskWarrior to repair any Directory damage.
R
Ram
Aug 3, 2008
Routine maintenance is imperative.

I still advocate Repairing Permissions (with Apple’s Disk Utility) before AND after any system update or upgrade, as well as before AND after installing any software that requires an installer that asks for your password.

I have seen software installations go sour because the installer did not find everything as and where it should be.

I have also seen software installations go bad because the installer did not clean up after itself properly and did not leave everything as and where it should be.

This is just my own personal opinion and practice based on my own observations. Others may disagree and that’s OK. I can only base my routines and my advice to others on my own experience and conclusion. I don’t pretend to know why others believe otherwise.

Repairing Permissions after the fact (i. e. not immediately before and after an install) seldom helps.; Try it anyway, though.

====

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended by Apple, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.

Cron Scripts are maintenance routines designed by Apple to run on a daily, weekly and monthly basis in the middle of the night.

If you don’t run them, you WILL run into trouble, sooner rather than later.

Here’s an excerpt from the Apple tech doc <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107388>

Mac OS X performs background maintenance tasks at certain times if the computer is not in sleep mode. If your computer is shut down or in sleep at the designated times, the maintenance does not occur. In that case, you may want or need to run these manually.

Mac OS X periodically runs background tasks that, in part, remove system files that are no longer needed. This includes purging older information from log files or deleting certain temporary items. These tasks do not run if the computer is shut down or in sleep mode. If the tasks do not run, it is possible that certain log files (such as system.log) may become very large.
Also, from: <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106978>

The disk activity generated by find is a normal part of file system maintenance, used for tasks such as removing invisible temporary files that are used by the system. It is scheduled to occur early in the morning at 03:15 everyday, 04:30 on Saturdays, and 05:30 on the first day of each month.

NOTE: There have been comments to the effect that Apple "fixed" this in 10.4.2 and later versions of the OS, but I have not been able to verify this to my satisfaction. The reference in the 10.4.2 release notes are far from explicit on this subject.

= = =

If you have DiskWarrior, run it regularly too.
R
Ram
Aug 3, 2008
There’s absolutely no need to deactivate any prior version of Photoshop before installing CS3.
B
Buko
Aug 3, 2008
CS2 will have nothing to do with installation problems

Did you try to install over the factory install of the system?

When I get a new computer I always reinstall the system before installing anything.
DN
d_newcomb
Aug 3, 2008
Thanks, everyone. I am a maintenance freak and do mine regularly and without fail. Almost to a fault (if that’s possible). I did not reinstall the system after receiving this computer a year ago from Apple. I am thinking now of performing the Archive and Install unless someone has a better idea. I think using four days of my life trying to install an Adobe product is getting out of control.
B
Buko
Aug 3, 2008
If your computer is a year old it can probably run Tiger. If so I would stay with Tiger.
DN
d_newcomb
Aug 3, 2008
I’ve done all the maintenance, disk repair, etc. It won’t install. Back to my original question: at what point does one finally decide the DVD is bad?
B
Buko
Aug 3, 2008
If you have the disk space I would install Tiger on an empty partition. If not go buy an extra drive install Tiger and see if that works. Go to the place you bought your mac and see if they will let you try installing. that will let you know if it is the DVD.

I doubt the DVD is bad but you never know.
DN
d_newcomb
Aug 3, 2008
I believe CS3 will run only on Leopard.
DN
d_newcomb
Aug 3, 2008
Also, the computer came directly from Apple as a replacement for my old Powerbook that they could not repair, so there is no place to go!
B
Buko
Aug 3, 2008
I believe CS3 will run only on Leopard.

Then you believe wrong. CS3 was released during the rein of the Tiger and works perfectly.

Like I said If the computer is a year old it should run Tiger give it a try.
DN
d_newcomb
Aug 4, 2008
To sweeten the mystery, I just installed Dreamweaver (which I bought at the same time as the PS CS3) and it installed instantly with no problems whatsoever. Does that have any relation to anything?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections