SF
Posted By
Stuart_Forshaw
Apr 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I purchased PSE2 and PSA2 as a combined bundle and am having problems with PSE2 producing jagged images. On loading images into PSE2 all images appear on screen with severe jagged images which is also apparent when printed.

I also use JASC Paint Shop Pro8 with no such problems. I uninstalled Paint Shop Pro in case there was some conflict between the programs but to no avail. Having mentioned this to a professional photographer he said he had the same problem with PSE2 but not with Adobe Premiere.

My system is Intel P4 2.67ghz 1gb ram windows XP. Any Help Please?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 20, 2004
An image should look the same quality *at the magnification* on screen in PS2 as it does in Paint Shop Pro (they do for me).

Are these photographic type images?
Under Image/Resize/Image Size what is the ppi for the print output size of the ones you say print badly?

Is there any change you have downsampled the images (gone to fewer pixels than you started with) somehow or other between Album and Elements?

As far as the "pro photog", Director and Elements/Photoshop are so different in intent that comparisons aren’t necessarily relevant.

Mac
SF
Stuart_Forshaw
Apr 20, 2004
Hi Mac

Thank you for your response

The images are imported direct from my fuji camera at 2048 x 1536 pixels resolution and appear fine in Microsoft Picture/Fax viewer and JASC Paint Shop Pro 8, printing the pictures from Paint Shop Pro 8 is absolutely fine with no problems.

With PSE 2 the images imported direct from the camera all have severely jagged edges and if printed from PSE 2 equally have severely jagged edges.

I have not made any changes to the original photographs which are jpeg.

I have today loaded PSE2 on to another computer with exactly the same results.

Can you help me further please

Regards
Stuart
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 20, 2004
You gave the image dimensions in pixels, but what is the resolution? From digital cameras, some files import into Elements at 180ppi (which is marginally OK for a good print) and others import at only 72ppi. If yours are importing at 72, that would indeed cause very jagged edges on a print.

Open a newly imported image and check Image>Resize>Image Size. The resolution of the image is shown near the bottom of the screen.
J
jhjl1
Apr 20, 2004
This would not explain the image looking jagged on the monitor as he said in his original post.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
You gave the image dimensions in pixels, but what is the resolution?
From digital cameras,
EW
Ed_Wurster
Apr 20, 2004
wrote:
I purchased PSE2 and PSA2 as a combined bundle and am having problems with PSE2 producing jagged images. On loading images into PSE2 all images appear on screen with severe jagged images which is also apparent when printed.

I also use JASC Paint Shop Pro8 with no such problems. I uninstalled Paint Shop Pro in case there was some conflict between the programs but to no avail. Having mentioned this to a professional photographer he said he had the same problem with PSE2 but not with Adobe Premiere.

My system is Intel P4 2.67ghz 1gb ram windows XP. Any Help Please?

Check the settings in your digital camera. It sounds like you are shooting at low resolution.

Ed
SF
Stuart_Forshaw
Apr 20, 2004
Thanks Ed, James and Beth

Sorry I am new to digital photography, so please accept my ignorance.

My camera is 3.3 megapixels and is set to high resolution, from Beth’s comments it appears that it is at 72dpi.

What I cannot understand is why all my images are excellent in Paint shop pro8 and print ok with that package, but in PSE2 I have these severely jagged edges both on screen 1024×768 TFT and also on the printed image but only in PSE2 and as stated in my earlier post this the same on a different PC.

Regards
Stuart
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 20, 2004
I’ve never used PSP, any version, so I’m just making a semi educated guess. Many programs will do an automatic conversion to a resolution appropriate for printing. PSE does not, because it’s been designed to give the user the maximum amount of control over their image editing. Maybe someone who uses PSP can respond with more information that is based on usage, not guesswork.

However, 72ppi is well below the recommended resolution for generating a decent print on virtually any kind of printer (although it’s fine for web display.) The recommended printing range is between 150ppi and 300ppi, although those numbers aren’t set in stone. Try resizing your images (WITHOUT the Resample box checked) and test your prints again. I think you’ll find once you get above 150 there will be a marked improvement in the quality, and the jagged edges will most definitely disappear.

I, too, have a 3MP camera, but the images from my Canon open at 180ppi in Elements. I usually resize all of them to 330ppi for starters, because that lets me see what they’ll look like at 4 X 6. I often reduce the resolution and crop if I want to cut out some extraneous edges. I’ve found I get excellent prints with my HP printer at about 240 or 250ppi, but you’ll have to work with your own equipment and decide what the sweet spot is for yours.

Printing below 150ppi will seldom produce a nice quality print. Printing in excess of 300ppi usually doesn’t produce enough extra clarity to justify the additional system resources required to print an image at a higher resolution. Since you’re new to this, you’re the only one who can judge what pleases you, and it will take a little experimenting. Just stay within the recommended range and you’ll be very happy with your prints.

And feel free to keep coming back to the forum with more questions. This is very powerful software and is capable of producing some remarkable results, but there is a learning curve. The forum has a number of very talented and knowledgeable people who love getting newcomers addicted! 🙂
J
jhjl1
Apr 20, 2004
Beth’

You have full control of the resolution plus the type of resampling if any is to be done. If the original poster was just getting bad prints it would be one thing but he says the photos are displaying jagged on the monitor in Elements (on two systems). This one is baffling. PSP will assign a user selected PPI to any image that is open that has no PPI currently assigned to it.

Stuart’
Try turning down the graphic’s acceleration and see if that helps your on screen display in Elements, If so download the most current driver for your video card. When printing in Elements are you using the picture package? It has a default resolution of 72 which could explain the print problem but not the monitor display.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
I’ve never used PSP, any version, so I’m just making a semi educated
guess. Many programs will do an automatic conversion to a resolution appropriate for printing.
EW
Ed_Wurster
Apr 20, 2004
wrote:
Thanks Ed, James and Beth

Sorry I am new to digital photography, so please accept my ignorance.
My camera is 3.3 megapixels and is set to high resolution, from Beth’s comments it appears that it is at 72dpi.

What I cannot understand is why all my images are excellent in Paint shop pro8 and print ok with that package, but in PSE2 I have these severely jagged edges both on screen 1024×768 TFT and also on the printed image but only in PSE2 and as stated in my earlier post this the same on a different PC.

Start with elementary ideas. For instance, what scale are you viewing the pictures at?

Go to View > Actual Pixels. How do things look on screen?

Next we have to look at resolution. Image > Resize > Image Size. What is written there?

Ed
SF
Stuart_Forshaw
Apr 22, 2004
Thanks to you all.

Having messed about with the actual pixels and resizing it now appears fine.

Once again thank you all for your help

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections