Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just come across this:

<http://www.bergdesign.com/supercal/>

Using the iMac I tried it out and it seems to have worked quite well on my LCD screen but the profile it generates doesn’t show up when I tick the box "Show profiles for this display only" Does this mean it doesn’t work in Panther? and if so is there anyway way of converting the profile?

Wendy

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 24, 2004
Wendy, it means that the computer doesn’t not consider that this is based on its display but rather on something alien. It doesn’t mean you can’t use it, but I’m curious as to why you think you need it. Have you had a problem with the apple system calibrator?

If you search the Apple displays forum, you will see that about 60% of the graphics pros who post there feel that the apple calibrator works better for them than the third party hardware/software solutions.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 24, 2004
Hi Barbara,

I found a reference to Supercal in the Mac Photoshop forum to do with the difficulties of getting a good profile for LCD screens. It was suggested it was worth trying Supercal before buying something like Spyder. As it is shareware I decided to give it a try and whilst initially it seemed to be much more complex than the apple calibrator I actually found it easier to use as it walks you through the steps and the calibration comparisons are in colour … which I found much easier to match.

The profile I ended up with for the iMac is not too different to the one I did with the apple calibrator but I really want to try it out on the iBook. I just can’t get the iBook right … the colour is washed out and whilst I have managed to get it a bit better I am still not happy with it.

Thanks for the info about still being able to use it … if I can get it to do a better profile for the iBook I may well end up using it.

Wendy
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 24, 2004
I too used Apple’s calibration tool and, in under 5 minutes, my monitor was calibrated. My printouts are much better now (I mean, I see what I get, instead of guessing it!)

Ray
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 24, 2004
Wendy, what version of X is on the ibook? If you are running an early version of panther, there was a big problem with ibook displays where you could only calibrate through classic and then the profile only held till you shut down.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 24, 2004
Also, FWIW, with my imac, I get simply dreadful results using the "advanced" calibration, but it’s dead on if I use the simple panther calibrate (which is the same as the old advanced calibration option in earlier versions.)
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 24, 2004
Hi Barbara,

Both iMac and iBook are using OS 10.3.2 .. is it worth updating to 10.3.3?

Will try out the simple panther calibration on the iBook and see if that works any better … thanks for the help.

Wendy
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 24, 2004
No, it was 10.3 and 10.3.1 where the problems were, so that’s probably not it. Have you tried running the colorsync repair utility on your ibook profile? (That may work and may not–it doesn’t acknowledge all profiles, so don’t worry if you can’t select it)
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 24, 2004
Barbara

Will give the colorsync repair utility a try too … I only tend to use the iBook when we are on holiday and then only to transfer photographs to. I tend to wait until I get home before making changes so the profile isn’t too critical.

Thanks for the help
Wendy
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 24, 2004
I tend to wait until I get home before making changes so the profile isn’t too critical.

Well, that is one big difference between the display on the ibook and say, the 17" pbook. The 17" display is designed with a much greater angle of view–in other words you can move it around more and move further away from it to the side before your perception of the color starts to change. (also one reason why lapzilla is SO much more expensive.) Screen angle is one thing that makes calibrating laptops very difficult, because the color shifts as your viewing angle changes and it’s almost impossible to keep a laptop screen at exactly the same angle every time you open it.

But it definitely shouldn’t be all washed out from every angle.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections