DK
Posted By
Dick_Kraus
Oct 2, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use Mac OS X 10.5.5 with Photoshop CS3 and Adobe Bridge CS3. I am using a Sony DSL a350 and shoot my images in Sony’s raw format which they label as ARW. Photoshop recognizes this format. But, if I wish to save my images in a readily recognizable raw format, the only option offered is Photoshop Raw. This works fine except that when I want to view these Photoshop Raw files using Bridge’s slideshow feature, all I get is a tiny thumbnail instead of a full screen image. Strangely enough, when I double click the image in Bridge, it opens up the full file.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 2, 2008
How have you set your Bridge prefs.?

My Nikon RAW .nefs show at full-screen size in a Slide Show — even in CS3

In CS3:
Try using High Quality Thumbnails,; Increasing the file size at which thumbnails can be rendered; and using Hardware Acceleration (if your video card has sufficient capability).

[Bridge Slideshows have changed beyond all recognition in CS4!]
DK
Dick_Kraus
Oct 2, 2008
Ann Shelbourne – 12:41pm Oct 2, 08 PST (#1 of 1)
How have you set your Bridge prefs.?

My Nikon RAW .nefs show at full-screen size in a Slide Show — even in CS3

Thanks, Ann. My ARW files show full size, but I read that I should convert manufacturer’s proprietary files to a more universal file such as Photoshop Raw. It’s only then that I am stuck with thumbnail previews.

And, I don’t know what or where I can find Hardware Acceleration. Pardon my lack of knowledge.
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Oct 2, 2008
Photoshop recognizes this format. But, if I wish to save my images in a readily recognizable raw format, the only option offered is Photoshop Raw.

When opening a Camera Raw format (such as your Sony ARW format) you HAVE to save it out as a TIFF, PSD or JPEG out of Photoshop. You CAN’T save it out of Photoshop as a raw digital capture because once you open it via Camera Raw it ain’t raw any more…it’s processed.

Photoshop Raw is not for digital captures, it’s literally a raw format meaning you have to spec out the byte order, etc.
DK
Dick_Kraus
Oct 3, 2008
"Photoshop Raw is not for digital captures, it’s literally a raw format meaning you have to spec out the byte order, etc."

Thanks, Jeff. That sheds some light for me. But, what would be the best format with which to save my files? Or should I keep it in Sony’s ARW format, which is recognized by Photoshop?

Jeez, I was a staff photographer for a newspaper for 42 years and I never had to make so many decisions during most of my years with film.
B
Buko
Oct 3, 2008
But, what would be the best format with which to save my files?

I use both Tiff and PSD. Mostly PSD. Remember you are not saving over the RAW file{Sony’s ARW format} you always have that, think of it as your negative and Adobe Camera RAW is your enlarger. after you save an image you can go back and open the same RAW file in ACR and make a different exposure.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 3, 2008
One way to do this is to keep your original photographs in their RAW (.arw in your case), with their Adobe Camera Raw edits being retained.
Then just re-open them in ACR as needed and Save them to a different format and size that is suitable for the purpose for which you are going to use the image.

Alternatively you might choose to save them as DNGs (Digital negatives) with the ACR data embedded in the metadata.
DK
Dick_Kraus
Oct 3, 2008
Many thanks, Buko and Ann.

Problem solved.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections