KK
Posted By
Krista_Knecht
Oct 13, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A week ago, a user was working on a file in Photoshop and the file literally disappeared. No trace of it in Spotlight, yet it was there in "Open Recent", but still not found. Now, three more users have the same issue. They know they saved their files, and when they went to come back for it, it was not there.

Just to see what was happening, I created a file, saved it as test_file.psd. It saved – yee-hah. After modifying it once more, I wanted to save it again, overwriting the original file, but did not let me. Here’s the funny part – I had to "Save As", which is fine, but when I went to look for the original file, it was NOT there!

These files are literally disappearing. Here’s the set up: Mac OS10.4.11 client, network accounts to an Xserve 10.4.9 server. This problem has just started happening within the week.

ANY suggestions are appreciated, and thanks in advance!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Oct 13, 2008
Sounds like a server issue. Adobe does not support saving over a network.
R
Ram
Oct 13, 2008
This is the boilerplate text I use in connection to saving to a network (please NOTE the part where it explains that normally, it does work, but that it is impossible to troubleshoot someone else’s network remotely, and that’s why it’s not supported by Adobe):

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, please cease and desist immediately in the event you are currently experiencing problems with one or more files. Working across a network is not supported.

See:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/322391.html>

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local hard disk, work on it, save it again to your local hard disk, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.

Of course, the fact that Adobe does not support working across a network does not necessarily mean it won’t work. It should.

Adobe’s position is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to guarantee that everything will work correctly in every network, especially given the fact that if something does not work properly, it’s probably the network’s fault, and Adobe has no way of troubleshooting your network.

If you can’t work locally, you are on your own, and if something happens, you’re on your own. If you must work from a server, make sure your network administrator is a competent professional.

When problems arise, a lot of valuable work can be lost.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections