MC
Posted By
Mardi_Carter
Oct 13, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there any way to create a method for automatically placing a serial page number in each image file? I am thinking of something like is available in Microsoft Word where you tell the program to number each page serially. If a new page is added anywhere, including the middle, the page numbers adjust. I am creating a book with a series of full page images and want each one numbered so I can include an index. I can easily change file names, which include the page number, with a batch action, but is there any way to automate changing a page number on the image without going through the whole batch, opening each image, and manually changing the page number? For example: I have pages 1,2,3,4,5, but I want to add a page between 2 and 3; thus, the numbers 3,4, and 5 must be changed to 4,5 and 6. The book has over 100 pages, so manually doing the job will be quite time consuming.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PR
Paul_R
Oct 13, 2008
I dont think there is an easy way of doing this. The only thing I could suggest is to forget about page numbering until you have finished then run a script to number them all.
Here’s a page numbering script I wrote a while back.
< http://photoshoptechniques.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25882& amp;highlight=page+number> Maybe you could modify it to suit your needs?
B
Buko
Oct 13, 2008
What you want is a page layout app.

Adobe makes the best its called InDesign.
AR
alan_ruta
Oct 13, 2008
You need an indexing plugin.
MC
Mardi_Carter
Oct 13, 2008
Thank you all. Several ideas to work on.
MC
Mardi_Carter
Oct 13, 2008
I did a trial run of your script and it works beautifully on the 5 trial pages I used. My only problem is that the font is too large for my project. I am completely illiterate when it comes to writing scripts so the actual script is like a foreign language to me. How can I reduce the font size?

Will this script keep things in order? i.e. I read one post where the numbers jumped: " 1, 101, 102, 103… Then when it got to 109 it went 109, 11, 110… then 119, 12, 120 and various breaks like that." Is there a resolution to that problem?
PR
Paul_R
Oct 14, 2008
The script just works on the file order in the folder. To change the fontsize in the script there is a line ‘var fontSize = 20;
just change the 20 to one that suits you.
KC
KEV_CHAMBERLAIN
Oct 14, 2008
Are you really doing a book with over 100 pages in Photoshop?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 14, 2008
It may be destined for printing through one of the online "Publishing" companies that require each page to be submitted as a JPEG?

But I would still suggest that you assemble the book in InDesign and then export each page as a separate JPEG if that is what they demand — although finding a company which is prepared to work from PDFs would be better.
MC
Mardi_Carter
Oct 14, 2008
Yes. I know, but I can’t justify buying expensive new software for one book. I would love InDesign, but I doubt I would be able to use it enough. This book is not for publication. It is only for my rather large family and I intend to produce it as a pdf so everyone can have one on disk without the expense of printing. I will keep one printed copy for myself and will print it myself.
MC
Mardi_Carter
Oct 14, 2008
Thank you. I found it and will give it a whirl. Maybe I should learn to do scripts!
MC
Mardi_Carter
Oct 14, 2008
Thank you again. I works perfectly. I can’t wait to finish my pages and get them all automatically numbered. I have the indexing automated in Word so I am set to roll.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 15, 2008
Paul R what is a jsx file and how do you open it? Your revised download is not openable with anything I have.
R
Ram
Oct 15, 2008
jsx file

A Java script file.

Adobe Photoshop: Step by step guide to using JSX and running … < http://www.virtualsecrets.com/adobe-photoshop-jsx-web-server .html>
L
Lundberg02
Oct 15, 2008
The download was supposed to be a script and now it’s an application? Where is Paul R? I could actually use this but not if it’s going to take me a semester to learn it.
PR
Paul_R
Oct 15, 2008
PS-CS2/3 understand JSX files the x means extended, a lot of the times script might work if you re-name them to .js
There are some differences when programming different versions of Photoshop eg: #target photoshop is only understood in CS2/CS3 app is not understood in PS7 there are some problems in using translate in CS2 and earlier. Thats why its a good reason why people should say what version they are using.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 15, 2008
That explanation doesn’t mean jack to me. How do you put that jsx to work. You can’t copy it into a script because it won’t open.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections