B
Posted By
bryandanielkennedy
Oct 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Did CS4 change where it looks for the scanner drivers? I have both Canon and Epson scanners and they do not show up in File/Import even after re-installing the drivers.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

SS
Steven_Scotten
Oct 26, 2008
Did you copy the TWAIN plug-in from the second (Content) disk? It’s in Goodies > Adobe Photoshop CS4 > Optional Plug-ins > Import-Export

Used to be part of the default install but it became optional with CS4.
B
bryandanielkennedy
Oct 26, 2008
Ah thank you. No I didn’t. It seems odd to me that they would have changed this.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 26, 2008
Adobe changed it because the TWAIN plug-in can cause Photoshop to fail to open at all due to conflicts with third party scanner drivers (particularly Epson’s).

If you are wise, you will not install TWAIN but will use your Scanning software as a stand alone program quite separately from Photoshop.
B
Buko
Oct 26, 2008
Why anyone would want to tie up a $1000 application just to scan is beyond me. Photoshop has no ability to scan in and of itself. I think Adobe is trying to tell you to stop using Photoshop to scan and use the scanner as a stand alone since you are using the software that came with the scanner anyway only through through Photoshop if you use the TWAIN.plugin.

do you think that Service Bureaus use Photoshop to scan?
SS
Steven_Scotten
Oct 27, 2008
do you think that Service Bureaus use Photoshop to scan?

They did just a couple years ago–at least when using the low-end flatbed scanners that everyone else calls high-end. Considering how useless the software that comes with consumer-level scanners is, I’d suspect that they still did except when using drum scanners.

I haven’t used a standalone application to scan an image since I used the old CyberChrome cameras, and those were nearly obsolete when I was trained to use them in 1993.

To be fair, I don’t know anything about the Canon software, but if you want any finer controls than clicking "Photo" or "Document" you won’t be using the Epson standalone software.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 27, 2008
For flatbeds I strongly recommend SilverFast Ai but it is abominably expensive — and they make you buy a separate version for each Scanner model.

For Nikon Slide Scanners (the Super Coolscans) I prefer NikonScan but it won’t work on Leopard and Nikon have no plans to update it.

Many other people swear by VueScan but I don’t find it effective for scanning color negative film (which is what I use).

When you scan in Photoshop you are not using Adobe scanning software but just the standard software (Epson or Canon etc.) that was installed when you installed your Scanner.
DS
Don_Saban
Oct 27, 2008
Ann…..
I’m using Nikon Scan V4.0.0.3020 on my Mac Pro with Leopard 10.5.5. You can no longer use it through Photoshop, but I can use it as the stand alone application.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Oct 27, 2008
Ann and Buko and Ramón I think as well pointed that it is a mind set to scan into photoshop through the plug in as though you get the image through twain you are tying up Photoshop and you could be working on the previous scans while the scanner software is still running.

And if you use the Bridge and add the folder you are storing the the scanned files in as a favorite you will easily be able to better organize and and retrieve your scans.

I when I got the Master Collection installed i removed CS 3 and find hitting the button on the scanner to launch the epson scanner software is easier then clicking a mouse.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 27, 2008
Although I am using OSX 10.4.11, I am delighted to hear that news as I had heard that NikonScan was broken in Leopard; and Nikon apparently are not intending to upgrade their software beyond the current version.

I haven’t scanned through Photoshop for years now because i prefer to batch-scan in the background while continuing to work in Photoshop on other tasks.
DS
Don_Saban
Oct 27, 2008
I also had luck running Nikon Scan when I was running Tiger…as stand alone. It seems that not all people have luck with it. As long as I tell it not to close window after scan, it works fine for me.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 27, 2008
Don:

The main problem with NikonScan is not so much that "not all people have luck with it" but that not all people (by a very long chalk) take the trouble to learn how to use it!

8/
DS
Don_Saban
Oct 27, 2008
I know what you mean. It took me forever to figure out how to make it work. I spend many hours on the phone with Nikon and they just said it won’t work and they are never going to upgrade it. But being one that never gives up, I kept at it until finally I discovered the trick about not having it automatically close the window after the scan. Nikon didn’t even know this work around…and probably still doesn’t.
But now YOU do….and I hope it works for you, if you are still interested in using it.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 27, 2008
The standalone scanning interface for the Epson 4870 is identical to what appears in Photoshop. So, as Buko says, why tie up Photoshop?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 27, 2008
Don:

I have always had NikonScan set to keep its window open after scanning so i haven’t run into that bug but thank you for discovering it — and for posting here about it.
J
JW1000
Oct 27, 2008
The TWAIN capability is installed by default in the Windows version of CS4. Not that I would ever use it.
B
bryandanielkennedy
Oct 27, 2008
While I appreciate your self-righteous opinion Buko, we are all not you.

First of all, using the scanning software alone requires you to save the file first, and then having to re-open in in Photoshop. Scanning through Photoshop saves a lot of time when scanning a lot of photos.

Second, it’s common sense to me to get as much use out of my $1000 application as possible without having to launch a 3rd party program.
B
Buko
Oct 27, 2008
I use Vuescan and the image automatically opens in Photoshop.

and If you do have lots of scanning to do all the more reason not to scan from inside photoshop. because while you are scanning you can be using Photoshop.
B
Buko
Oct 27, 2008
Its not self-righteous its common sense
R
Ram
Oct 27, 2008
without having to launch a 3rd party program.

Photoshop cannot scan, it never has been able to, never will.

All you’re doing when you go through the TWAIN import menu is launching the scanner’s software through a plug-in and tying up Photoshop in the meantime.
SS
Steven_Scotten
Oct 28, 2008
All you’re doing when you go through the TWAIN import menu is launching the scanner’s software through a plug-in and tying up Photoshop in the meantime.

Understood. But some makers supply different software for the plug-in than for the standalone app. It may be stupid, but it’s true, and the level of control available is not the same.

For some of us who scan relatively infrequently and are saddled with these scanners, the 45 seconds that Photoshop is tied up is a small price to pay to get to specify the actual resolution in a number instead of "high" or "medium" and to be able to make pre-scan adjustments other than "photo" or "document."

No one is calling you wrong, but there are still legitimate reasons to use the TWAIN plug-in. I’m OK with Adobe removing it from the default install, but it’s still a good thing it made it to one of the distribution disks as an option.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 28, 2008
There are legitimate reasons to use the TWAIN plugin, but crashing TWAIN drivers were some of our top reported crashes in Photoshop. We never could get the driver vendors to fix their code, and even had trouble getting OS vendors to fix their pieces.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Oct 28, 2008
That was my bent on the issue.

It makes sense to do this this way as if you have it installed many users having problems with Twain and the scanner drivers would not know to simply use the standalone driver or to remove TWAIN plug in this way it forces the issue.

They may not even know that they have standalone version since the TWAIN and the Scanner Software is installed usually by default to work with Twain.

It is better to do large number of scans with the standalone especially if you are using the same settings for a large number of images and as Buko always points out it allows you to continue to work in PS as the scans are being processed.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections