Posted By
Dzash2000
Oct 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi –

I have a strange Photoshop CS3 behavior in that sometimes the cursor will sort of blink. It is more than an annoyance.

It occurs for no apparent reason that I can discern. Opening a new file, an old file, having other applicaitons open, having only PSD open, daytime, etc. Every time I open PSD I wonder if it’s going to reoccur.

On the occasions when this condition exists I will not be able to do a number of things, such as change a layer’s name, enter a number value for feather, text size, etc.

I’d appreciate some input or a lead as to where a solution might be.

Thanks,
D2

PSD cs3, PowerBook G4, 10.4.11

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 26, 2008
How much RAM and free hard drive space do you have? A G4 is no powerhouse (in today’s terms) and it may be strangling under the load of processing CS3 data.

Neil
SW
Scott_Weichert
Oct 27, 2008
Could be a bad font as well. There have been times where I’ve seen a corrupt font cause the cursor in several Adobe applications to blink between the arrow cursor and the selected tool cursor.
D
Dzash2000
Oct 28, 2008
All –
Thanks for the responses.

Neil – I have the max RAM (1GB) and about 20GB free space…so I guess that there’s nothing I can do there. (I wish someone would invent external memory that worked like external storage.)

Scott – The font idea is interesting and I’ll have to pursue that. I’ll be at the Apple site looking for how/where fonts.

Both – However – do you think these conditions would cause the problem ALWAYS instead of occasionally??

Thanks again,
D2
SW
Scott_Weichert
Oct 28, 2008
A bad font would only cause the problem when it’s active in the system – perhaps it’s only occasionally turned on via Suitcase or some other font management application.
D
Dzash2000
Oct 28, 2008
Scott – I checked and found no corrupted fonts. Any other suggestions. d2
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 28, 2008
Dzash,

I have the max RAM (1GB) and about 20GB free space…so I guess that there’s nothing I can do there.

And that may well the problem! With so little RAM and free hard drive space, any normal operating variations in RAM usage or free hard drive space may be enough to trigger the effect.

Neil

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections