Posted By
david_pullum
May 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
Apologies for these questions as I’m sure you have probably seen these before. I’m brand new to digital pictures and have some questions.

Firts one is what is the best technique to use for B&W photos. I have the Elements 2.0 manual , have tried all the methods but cant seem to find one that produces the best results.

Second question is,
My friend sent me some of his wedding photos and all of them were sized at 2400X3200 at 300ppi, all the files were less than 1mb.

Can I bulk change the size of say 50 photos? whats the best size to set them all to , bearing in mind I probably only need to go to a max of 8×6.

I’m shooting with a Canon EOS 10D. This whole size, ppi image resizing thing is confusing me

Please help

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JH
Jim_Hess
May 18, 2004
Working in black and white in native Photoshop Elements is probably not going to give you completely satisfactory results. You need to have some additional control that just isn’t there. There is a book that is apparently on the unmentionable list in this forum that provides some additional tools and instructions that make working with black and white a lot simpler.

Personally, I prefer to use Photoshop for working with black and white. And I purchased an add-in from fredmiranda.com that only works with Photoshop that provides incredible flexibility for working with black and white photographs. Some of his add-ins will work with Photoshop Elements, but the Black and White Workflow does not work with Elements.

Judging from the number of pixels in the pictures that your friend sent you, you would normally have enough to go to the size that you indicated. But when you say that the size of the files is less than 1 MB it makes me suspicious that he used a significant amount of compression which may make it difficult to print the larger pictures. I have used the batch process to size a bunch of pictures. But you may find that you get more pleasing pictures if you take the time to use either the crop tool or the marquee tool to crop and frame your pictures. Personally, I prefer to work with each photograph individually so that I can get the composition that I want. The batch process admittedly is very quick. But you don’t have a lot of control.
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
May 18, 2004
With Elements you can use Russell Brown’s techniques, outlined in his quirky tutorials. Once at the web site, scroll down to ‘Seeing in Black and White’.

<http://www.russellbrown.com/body.html>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections