DP
Posted By
Donald_Pike
Nov 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have an old 3×3 photo which I would like to resize to print at 4×6 borderless. Constraining proportions is not a concern. I can get the photo to display larger on the screen, but trying to print always gives me a 4×6 white area with the 3×3 picture located within it. How can I enlarge the 3×3 so that I can print it at 4×6? TIA

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 24, 2003
Donald, do you really mean that ‘constraining proportions is not a concern’? If that’s the case, you can go into Image>Resize>Image Size, uncheck the Constrain Proportions box and put in the 4 inch and 6 inch dimensions. HOWEVER….the result will be a picture squashed in one dimension and/or stretched in the other as your 3×3 is morphed into a 4×6.

If that’s not the effect you want, you’ll need to crop the 3×3 to 4×6 proportions. If you want to do that in one step to prepare it to print as a 4 inch by 6 inch, you can use the Crop tool with 4 inch and 6 inch dimensions specified.

Chuck
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 24, 2003
Donald,

You will either have to upsample or reduce the resolution to print larger. And of course, some cropping will be necessary if you want a 3×3 to print as a 4×6.

Go to Image>Resize Image. With Resample UNchecked, change one dimension to 6 and let the other fill in. Don’t change the resolution value, at least yet. If the resolution is above 200 ppi, this should print out fine. If your image’s res. is much lower than that, you will have to resample (upsample=have the program fabricate the extra pixels you need to get a decent print). The more you upsample, the softer the image will become.

You now have a 6×6 image however. If you have to have a 4×6 (not the same aspect ratio as 3×3) you will have to crop 2 inches off your image, which will severely impact it. You said constraining proportions is not a concern….if you don’t keep the aspect ratio your photo will be very distorted. You could, after resizing, just use Free Transform and squish one side down to 4, but it will be distorted.
DP
Donald_Pike
Nov 24, 2003
Thanks for the replies. I’ll give these a try and get back to you later.
DP
Donald_Pike
Nov 24, 2003
Hm…I’ve tried both suggestions but all I continue to get is a 4×6 white area with the 3×3 picture inside of it. Does the fact that it is a scanned photo make any difference (do I have a picture of the picture?) I don’t think I can have the scanner enlarge it. Looks like I’ll just have to settle for the small image.

dp
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 24, 2003
What you’re experiencing has nothing to do with the image having been scanned. You’re running into the "aspect ratio" of the image. In this case, you’ve got a square image that you want to have become a rectangle. That can’t be done without significantly increasing the size of the original and then cropping out the excess. The fact it’s a scanned photo could work to your advantage, though, because it lets you control the resolution of the digital file.

First you have to increase the size of the original picture so that the original becomes 6 inches square instead of 3. Once you’ve increased the overall size, you’re going to have to take off 2 inches either in width or height, depending on whether you want the picture 6 in wide and 4 high or vice versa. In other words, you have to make that original big enough to you can cut a 4 X 6 chunk out of it.

If I were doing this, I’d scan the 3 x 3 picture at a resolution of 600ppi. Then I would open it on my desktop, go to Image>Resize>Image Size and with NO checkmark by the Resample box, I would just change the resolution to 300ppi. Then I’d have a 6 x 6 image at 300ppi. (There’s nothing magical about this resolution, by the way, but it’s a good target and is easy to use for demonstration.) Once I had my 6 x 6 picture at 300ppi, I would choose the Rectangular Marquee tool, I’d change to Fixed Size in the Option Bar, set the width and height in inches, and then click on the image. That would give me a perfect 4 X 6 outline that I’d move around until I had selected the part of the image I wanted to keep. Then Image>Crop cuts it down.

Yes, you are going to lose some of your picture, but most have something extraneous at the top, bottom, or sides that isn’t needed anyway. But, that’s the only way you’ll get a 4 x 6 picture from a 3 x 3 original.

Good luck. By the way, Chuck and Nancy were both doing fine with their instructions, but you seemed to have not had enough detail to accomplish the task. I hope this helps.
DP
Donald_Pike
Nov 24, 2003
Thanks Beth,

I’ll rescan at 600ppi and see what I can do.

dp
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 25, 2003
Beth, very comprehensive instructions! Hopefully, that will do it for Donald.
MM
Michael Moody
Nov 25, 2003
Beth – I still can’t move the boundary area around; I only create some weird lines. Any tips as how you make the area move?

wrote in message
What you’re experiencing has nothing to do with the image having been
scanned. You’re running into the "aspect ratio" of the image. In this case, you’ve got a square image that you want to have become a rectangle. That can’t be done without significantly increasing the size of the original and then cropping out the excess. The fact it’s a scanned photo could work to your advantage, though, because it lets you control the resolution of the digital file.
First you have to increase the size of the original picture so that the
original becomes 6 inches square instead of 3. Once you’ve increased the overall size, you’re going to have to take off 2 inches either in width or height, depending on whether you want the picture 6 in wide and 4 high or vice versa. In other words, you have to make that original big enough to you can cut a 4 X 6 chunk out of it.
If I were doing this, I’d scan the 3 x 3 picture at a resolution of
600ppi. Then I would open it on my desktop, go to Image>Resize>Image Size and with NO checkmark by the Resample box, I would just change the resolution to 300ppi. Then I’d have a 6 x 6 image at 300ppi. (There’s nothing magical about this resolution, by the way, but it’s a good target and is easy to use for demonstration.) Once I had my 6 x 6 picture at 300ppi, I would choose the Rectangular Marquee tool, I’d change to Fixed Size in the Option Bar, set the width and height in inches, and then click on the image. That would give me a perfect 4 X 6 outline that I’d move around until I had selected the part of the image I wanted to keep. Then Image>Crop cuts it down.
Yes, you are going to lose some of your picture, but most have something
extraneous at the top, bottom, or sides that isn’t needed anyway. But, that’s the only way you’ll get a 4 x 6 picture from a 3 x 3 original.
Good luck. By the way, Chuck and Nancy were both doing fine with their
instructions, but you seemed to have not had enough detail to accomplish the task. I hope this helps.
DP
Donald_Pike
Nov 26, 2003
Beth,

I’d like to send you a big kiss! Thank you so much; I followed your instructions exactly and was finally able to resize and crop the image to get a 4×6 borderless print (for my wife.) I have found that using the printer’s "Canon Easy Photo Print" software always works (gets me a borderless print), while trying to print from PE2 does not always. The image size was right but it only printed a part of it on a small portion of the paper. Thanks again. I’m sure I’ll be using your instructions quite often.

dp
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 26, 2003
I love a good success story!! I’m really glad you got what you wanted, and I hope your wife darn well appreciates all the effort you went to.

Yes, unfortunately, there are some "quirks" to printing from Elements with a few brands/models of printers. It would be nice if you could do it right from Print Preview, but not everybody gets good results, especially on the borderless 4 x 6s.

Happy Turkey Day Eve!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections