DG
Posted By
David G House
May 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Looks like another slow day in the Elements Forum.. perhaps that is because all the gifted artists are painstakingly at work on their latest creations??? Here’s an idea… some get Chips and Dip, a little Salsa and Tortillas, chill your favorite beverage and let’s have a Cyber Party!!!!!!

David

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SS
Susan_S.
May 20, 2004
I’m here (more or less). It’s 2am and I can’t sleep for the third night in a row. I’ve been playing with the big boys and girls on the PS forums instead of coming here and chatting about Elements – I’m trialling CS at the moment, and I’m still trying to work out the colour management issues (amongst some other things) And the rest of the time is spent trying to work out how to pay for the full version of photoshop….
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 20, 2004
Susan

If hubby is at the university they he does qualify for the academic version and if you do one ounce of work for him I suspect you do as well.

g.
SS
Susan_S.
May 20, 2004
Grant – in fact I’m still on the university pay roll myself from time to time so yes I think I can get the academic price legitimately. And my husband certainly can – although (being an intellectual property lawyer) he won’t actually buy it for me for me to use if I’m not entitled to it…
Susan S
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 20, 2004
Susan, once you get color management set up I’d be curious to know; I see a very slight difference in prints between PE and CS even with the exact same settings.

I wouldn’t say that one is worse than the other but one is faintly more saturated. Do you see that, too?
KW
Ken_Wolin
May 20, 2004
I realize this might be off-topic, but since the topic is a cyber party, consider this party chatter. Anyway, this "educator’s discount" for Photoshop interests me. I’ve seen Photoshop CS offerred for $295 to teachers or students. Are there less expensive deals?
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 20, 2004
Barb, My PE1 gives me better prints that PS7 with same settings…go figure…so i use PE1 to print.
SS
Susan_S.
May 21, 2004
Ken – I think $299 is the full recommended retail of the education edition of PS CS. Certainly if you shop around in Australia you can get it cheaper than then Adobe recommended price. And if you are eligible for the education discount (you need to check – what qualifies as an eligible course/institution varies from software producer to software producer and Adobe’s criteria are quite strict) the really good deal is the CS suite which here in Australia I can get for less than $40US more than photoshop alone.

Barbara – I haven’t tried printing yet. I’m still mainly being mind-blown by the degree of control that Adobe RAW gives over the images – it’s that function, given the absence of any other RAW converter that will speak to my canon G3 files and run on the Mac which has sold me on CS. (And the new Canon EOS utility which is supposed to be much better doesn’t recognise the G3’s RAW files)
Susan S
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 21, 2004
Jodi, thanks–that’s interesting. Kind of strange, too, since improved color management was one of the big selling points for PS 7. Ah well, new isn’t always "improved."

Susan, for my minolta I have to say that I don’t like the algorithm of the CS plug-in at all, although I like some of the other features. I generally use a third-party plug-in that lets me choose which algorithm I want for each photo in addition to most of the other features in ACR (but no chromatic aberration correction, alas.)
SS
Susan_S.
May 21, 2004
Barbara – on my very low end printer as far as I can see prints on CS come out identical to Elements if I use the same settings. That is identically slightly too dark, but the colour is OK now I’ve switched to sRGB and tagged the images with that profile.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections