JR
Posted By
jim_r_belquist
May 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’d like to hear what software works well for making cd labels…i’ve transferred slides to cd’s using elements 2 and am ready for next step. Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MM
Mac_McDougald
May 20, 2004
If you want best shot at long term data archiving, you won’t paste on labels at all!

Mac
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 21, 2004
If you want best shot at long term data archiving, you won’t paste on labels at all!

Mac

I’ll add to this that many manufacturers are clearly stating that putting a label on a CD-R or DVD-R (rw included) is dangerous. The slight imbalance of the label could break the disk drive. Use a pen (special pen) and write something on the disk instead. Safer. After all, you don’t want your precious souvenirs being damaged because of a 20 cents label… 😉

Ray
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 21, 2004
The actual data level is closer to the top of the CD than the bottom.

Yeah, I was just reading something about that the other day–about how everyone is so careful of the bottom of the disk when it’s the top they should worry about.
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 21, 2004
Besides that, the glue can permeate, or peel off the data level, especially if the CD ever gets hot, even for a little while.

Mac
PA
Patti_Anderson
May 21, 2004
What about ink jet printable CD’s? Are they safe? Epson’s newest line of printers (R200, R300, R800) let’s you print right on the CD. I’ve been thinking about getting one when my piggy bank is a little fuller.

Patti
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 21, 2004
Dunno, haven’t researched it.
I’d be cautious.
There’s a big diff between commercial CDs and CD-R.

M
B
BobHill
May 21, 2004
I’ve used CD labels for years with no problem for either the drives or readability of the disks. The old ones are as good as the new. And the new print directly to the CD disk printers are even better. I’m finding the same is true with the DVD disks. As for a program, I used Adobe Illustrator in preference to a raster program for the actual label and make my own template. I do the same when making graphic "buttons".

Bob
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 21, 2004
Besides that, the glue can permeate, or peel off the data level, especially if the CD ever gets hot, even for a little while.
Mac

A friend of mine had to take her car stereo in for repair because the sticker unglued from the disk while playing… So I’d avoid that system.

As for the Inkjet printer, I believe they’d be safe, but as Mac, I haven’t researched it.

Ray
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 21, 2004
I had some stick to the plastic inserts in a CD wallet. Peeled off patches of the top, made CD unusable.

Everything works until it doesn’t 🙂

Mac

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections