AC
Posted By
Allan_Crisman
May 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The camera was purchased new in Oct but now when the camera is connected to the computer via the USB port the computer doesn’t recognize it. When you turn the camera on it’s supposed to launch the Nikon transfer software but doesn’t. I get a message that there’s no CF card in the camera. I am able to read & transfer thru my card reader w/o any problems. The Nikon techs think the problem is with the camera.
I was hoping maybe someone else has had the same problem and has discovered a fix. Thanks
Al

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BB
brent_bertram
May 31, 2004
Allan,
I think I agree with the Nikon guys, sounds like a "dead" USB port on the camera.

🙁
MR
Mark_Reibman
May 31, 2004
Most of the regulars on this forum have taken a sacred vow to use nothing but their card readers for transfering images to their computer.
EA
Earl_Alexander
May 31, 2004
I have been reading with interest the last few days about the suggestions to use a card reader to upload photos from camera to computer. I bought my first digital about a month ago (HP 733, 3.2 MP) I think it takes pretty good photos, but it’s not the camera I really wanted, but the wife had something to do with the purchase…There are somedays I will take maybe 4-5 photos and use the USB direct from camera to computer to upload. Sometimes this happens 3-4 times a day. I guess I’m wondering if it’s more likely to damage the USB connection in the camera VS the card slot in the camera if I install and eject the card several times a day. I might add, I leave the USB connected to the back of computer at all times. Comments from anyone?
JC
Jane Carter
May 31, 2004
My brother has one Ritz Lexar card which both his Macs(OS X and 9) say is unreadable. So if I can find his USB cable and power cable for 3200 Coolpix (mine is the 4300 and if I cant find his cables, I hope that mine work), and try to be able to save the card contents like this.
I sure hope I can get it to work, as these pictures were from a trip to Paris! Jane
J
JPWhite
May 31, 2004
If all conventional methods fail to recover your photos, check out the following website.

<http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/digitalphotorescue/>

They have links to software for both Windows and Macintosh that ‘claim’ to restore photos from damaged media.

I would use such software only as a last resort.

JP
J
JPWhite
May 31, 2004
Also check out Lexar’s website. One would hope their utility is OK.

<http://tinyurl.com/33bp9>

JP
CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 31, 2004
Earl, you make a good point. The little door over the card slot on my cameras is a flimsy piece of plastic that I’m amazed has lasted more than two years in one case – ejecting it several times a day for just a few pictures does increase the risk. If the cable connector on the camera is more robust and easy to use, I don’t see a lot of risk in using it, so long as you don’t interrupt the download in progress. Personally, I use a card reader and have put the camera cables in storage, but that’s just my preference.

Chuck
B
barbschaller
May 31, 2004
In article ,
wrote:

The camera was purchased new in Oct but now when the camera is connected to the computer via the USB port the computer doesn’t recognize it. When you turn the camera on it’s supposed to launch the Nikon transfer software but doesn’t. I get a message that there’s no CF card in the camera. I am able to read & transfer thru my card reader w/o any problems. The Nikon techs think the problem is with the camera. I was hoping maybe someone else has had the same problem and has discovered a fix.
Thanks
Al

If the Nikon folks themselves think it’s a camera problem, I think you should send it to them for a look and a fix (still under warranty?). JMO.

-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam I Am updated 5/16/04. Less than four weeks until my birthday. "Shop early, shop often, shop big." Good gin and cheap chocolate preferred. Or is it cheap gin and good chocolate? I can never remember. . . .
EA
Earl_Alexander
May 31, 2004
Chuck,
Thanks for the reply. My camera also has the flimsy plastic cover over the card slot and I too am afraid it may break off with a lot of use. I just may go out and get a card reader and use it a while.

Earl

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections