CS
Posted By
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In looking at reviews of some of the newer cameras that are increasing the number of pixels to 5, 6, and even 8 megapixels, I believe I see a trend to more image problems (color fringing, noise, hue/color shifts, etc.) than seen in the 4 megapixel and below. The new Sony 828 is a good case in point, with the DP review by Phil Askey just barely giving it a Recommended status in spite of being laden with advanced features.

Is this just random, or can it somehow be related to the fact that the manufacturers are trying to cram more and more pixels on the APS-size chip? Or is it a combination of lens quality and other factors that’s at work here? Or am I just too focused (no pun intended) on the negative reviews?

Chuck

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
jhjl1
Jan 12, 2004
I had read a thread at DP Review a few months back were they discussed the negative effect of to many pixels on too small a sensor. In essence, the smaller sensors with a larger number of pixels crammed on them will result in more noise as well as the other problems you mentioned.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 12, 2004
James, thanks. I just went back and re-read the conclusion of Askey’s review of the 828; he mentioned that "many observers had concerns about the very small pixel pitch of the camera’s eight million pixel sensor knowing that it would most likely lead to noisier images but what we weren’t prepared for were chromatic aberrations".

Wonder if we’ve reached the upper limit until bigger chips appear in ‘prosumer’ cameras?

Chuck
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 12, 2004
Chuck

I think you will find that it is the size of the chip that is the biggest culprit.

g.
J
jhjl1
Jan 12, 2004
That seems to be the general consensus. Most reviews seem to think the Canon G3 has better image quality than the newer G5 for that reason, if I understood the reviews I read.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
<
J
jhjl1
Jan 12, 2004
There was an article or thread (still searching) that I read discussing what they called the sweet spot. They felt 3-4 megapixels was the optimum amount for the smaller sensors found on most consumer grade digital cameras.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
LK
Leen_Koper
Jan 12, 2004
Just guessing.
Smaller sensors usually means a lower sensitivity.
Boosting the sensitivity usually produces noise.
So?

Leen
J
john
Jan 12, 2004
This is an older article that helped explain it for me. And it was PART of what got me looking at the Canon Rebel, even though I had initially placed it out of my ‘budget’.

<http://luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/dq.shtml>

Here’s a excerpt from above:

The hype surrounding the introduction of a typical digital camera is amazing. The new 5 megapixel Sony F707 was supposed to put to shame the lowly 3 megapixel Canon D30. Experienced digital camera users know pixel size isn’t everything. Pixel quality matters a great deal. Generally speaking, bigger pixels are better pixels because they have more signal and less noise. The real world output of the D30 usually beats the the Sony F707 hands down. I’ve printed shots from both and can vouch for this. The reason is simple, it has a much better SNR. Why you ask? The Sony pixels are much, much smaller.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 12, 2004
John

Thanks that was a very interesting article.

Grant
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 12, 2004
Good article ! More interesting stuff at <http://www.normankoren.com/> .

Possibly my favorite site, I’m so envious of anyone who is actually a photographer ! <G>
J
john
Jan 12, 2004
Brent: Good article ! More interesting stuff at <http://www.normankoren.com/>

Thanks for the link, Brent. Another good site for someone new to digital (like me).
B
Bobs
Jan 13, 2004
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 06:47:39 -0800,
wrote:

In looking at reviews of some of the newer cameras that are increasing the number of pixels to 5, 6, and even 8 megapixels, I believe I see a trend to more image problems (color fringing, noise, hue/color shifts, etc.) than seen in the 4 megapixel and below. The new Sony 828 is a good case in point, with the DP review by Phil Askey just barely giving it a Recommended status in spite of being laden with advanced features.

Is this just random, or can it somehow be related to the fact that the manufacturers are trying to cram more and more pixels on the APS-size chip? Or is it a combination of lens quality and other factors that’s at work here? Or am I just too focused (no pun intended) on the negative reviews?
Chuck

My Kodak 14n has a full-sized CCD of nearly 14 MPX and although it suffers from various problems related to image sensor limitations (and no microlens anti-aliasing filter in this case), the aberrations are generally not significant from a practical standpoint when print quality is considered, rather than getting down to the pixel level to see "problems." For this camera, each lens used on it has to be assigned a "profile" so that proper color corrections can be done to the stored image (relates to the light incidence angle that varies between lenses). Interestingly, this camera is claimed to "shoot circles" around other 6 MPX cameras when it is set to produce 6 MPX images, since it can postprocess twice the number of sensor units (while not using a diffusing filter).

You are probably correct in assuming that the APS chip is likely to grow in pixel numbers, since it’s more economical to fabricate these small chips because of yield limitations for the larger ones.
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 13, 2004
Brent,

Thank you for the normankoren link.
Amazing the knowledge that man has developed on digital imaging so quickly.

Robert
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 13, 2004
I keep going back, Norman keeps adding more and more, and updating sections. I suspect his book will take a long time to finish . <G>

🙂

Brent

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections