WG
Posted By
Welles_Goodrich
Nov 3, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve saved thousands of JPEGs in Photoshop over the years, almost always using the Save For Web dialog since that was introduced. On rare occasion I would use the JPEG format choice from the Save Dialog but not often. Today I was modifying a couple of JPEGs used for material mapping on OBJ files. I wasn’t using the OBJ models in Photoshop just opening and modifying jpegs. On two of the files when I saved my changes the changes were saved without any further dialog. It seems to me that always in the past when I re-saved a JPEG there would always be a dialog to for the compression level and other encoding choices. Today the files were just saved without the extra dialog.

I like this saving JPEGs without making copies and the extra dialog as it saves a number of extra steps. I do wonder if this is a new feature of CS4 or whether it existed before and I’d just never run into it. Then I wonder if this is some selected setting of the JPEG dialog when they were first saved.

Signed,
Baffled in Santa Cruz

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Nov 3, 2008
If you’ve saved the Jpeg already then it defaults to the last saved compression which is why so many say don’t use Jpeg because you can destroy a pic with out knowing.

It only goes to the compression dialog if you Save As
SW
Scott_Weichert
Nov 3, 2008
Edit: too slow.. what Buko posted 🙂
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Nov 3, 2008
Aha! Fortunately they were saved at 12 so comparatively little further degradation was added into the file.

Thanks Buko. It was weird to run into something like that after such a long time with PS.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections