Posted By
kholl
Nov 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
hi,

;i feel like there should be an easy way to solve this problem, but i have not been able to figure it out after about an hour of googling. i scanned a 5-page article from a magazine, took the resolution on them all down to 72 (but did not otherwise resize), and made a PDF presentation in Photoshop CS3. i’ve played around with the settings, but cannot find anything that doesn’t make the text blurry when i open up the PDF.

this is another recurring problem: once when i was able to have clear text (albeit on a 10 meg pdf file), i was unable to shrink the file size without it becoming blurry again. these PDFs are only for reading online, and there has to be a way to do this.

any help would really be appreciated!

thanks so much,
k

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JJ
Jim_Jordan
Nov 4, 2008
You are going to get ‘blurry’ text if you downsample to 72 ppi from a scan.

Why don’t you send your visitors to the magazine publisher’s site instead of violating their copyright?
K
kholl
Nov 4, 2008
we’re not sending it to anyone, and it’s a free magazine regardless… calm down.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Nov 4, 2008
If you are not sending it to anyone, then why worry about file size? Keep your scans at 200+ ppi.
K
kholl
Nov 4, 2008
because we’re trying to create an archive and don’t want it to be monstrous. i’ll try 200. thanks.
P
PeterK.
Nov 4, 2008
Whether or not it’s free has no bearing on the fact that it is a copyrighted work. The general rule of copyright is, if you didn’t make it, it’s not yours to copy.
JM
J_Maloney
Nov 4, 2008
Whether or not it’s free has no bearing on the fact that it is a copyrighted work

But it has a big bearing on what constitutes fair use of the copyrighted work.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use>
K
kholl
Nov 4, 2008
okay i just needed some help. i’m not sure exactly why you felt the need to seek this thread out and assume things about my post and respond with common knowledge, but it’s not constructive. you really have no idea what material i’m using or what i’m using it for or if i have permission. so kindly mind your own business unless you know the answer to my question.
JM
J_Maloney
Nov 4, 2008
kholl:

This is a forum of media creators. When you write in saying you are scanning media, prepare to be quizzed about the copyright. It happens every time. That should be common knowledge. It’s also common knowledge that 72 ppi will not hold type well, hence your blurriness problem. Higher resolution, with lower quality JPG compression, will result in a better file, when considering quality vs file size. Try using the bicubic sharper algorithm when sizing your scans down.

You might also try selecting the white paper/ black text areas and making sure they are as sharp as possible, by forcing the black text to 0,0,0 using levels, and the white paper to 255,255,255. Making the paper white is a move that will probably be better applied to the whole scan.

J
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Nov 4, 2008
I think some of us questioned your concept of copyright because there was clear misunderstanding of resolution, which is ‘common knowledge’ here. We cannot easily assess what knowledge you hold. Forgive us all for trying to be helpful.

Being in a forum, it is certainly constructive to discuss issues of scanning magazines, even if you do not feel it applies directly to you. If you wanted a personal correspondence without offering the topic to open discussion, you should not have posted in a forum.

EDIT: yeah… what J said.
JM
J_Maloney
Nov 4, 2008
Yes, if it’s only type, 1-bit GIF will be much better than JPG. I kind of assumed that 5 pages from a magazine had something of more interest than just type.

Ideally, you’d assemble two scans (1-bit for type, jpg for images) in IND and export to PDF from there. It’s a little more work, but particularly when printing from the PDF, you get a small file that outputs very close to the original.
K
kholl
Nov 4, 2008
fair enough. i just felt like what and why i was scanning was sort of beside the point. i don’t know as much about photoshop as others, obviously, or i wouldn’t be seeking help on this forum.

anyway sorry for being a jerk. i have been working on this stuff all day and have the frustration disease. i appreciate your help and will be publishing your responses on my website soon.
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 4, 2008
kholl,

anyway sorry for being a jerk.

You’re not being a jerk if something has been learned from the thread.

i appreciate your help and will be publishing your responses on my website soon.

Now, speaking about copyrighted content…

<g>

Neil
JD
John_Danek
Nov 5, 2008
I have a technique that might help you. I have a customer that needs 2-4 page PDFs accessed via the web, so they need to be as small as possible. The original files are full color CMYK Illustrator EPS files with photos, logos and text. But, this may help you with your scans. I Export out of Illustrator as 150ppi RGB .tiff’s each page. Then, I open the .tiff’s in Photoshop and save them as Photoshop .pdf’s. Finally, I reassemble the multi-page document in Acrobat and save it as a .pdf; final 2-4pg = 300k +/-.
B
Buko
Nov 5, 2008
If its just a scan and there is no vector shapes or type what is the point of saving as a PDF?
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Nov 5, 2008
John, if you have Acrobat, you do not need the Photoshop step. Just assemble the TIFF files in Acrobat. Photoshop only introduces further JPG compression if you use the default PDF generation settings.
JD
John_Danek
Nov 5, 2008
I’ve tried it via Acrobat, also using Distiller, and "save-As" via Illustrator. For whatever reason, the smallest file size was only achievable ( in my case, anyway ) through my method described. I wanted to help the post’r achieve the smallest size .pdf and thought my method could help. Obviously I started with a vector file. In his case, if he scans @ 200ppi RGB, then opens the file in PS and sizes it down to 150ppi ( in an attempt to retain the sharpness of a medium sized scan, while reducing the overall size of the file; and then saving as Photoshop PDF and reassembling the document pages in Acrobat for a final, multi-page PDF at a reasonable final size.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Nov 5, 2008
then saving as Photoshop PDF

What type of Photoshop PDF?

The reason why you are getting the smallest file size from Photoshop is because the default PDF settings in Photoshop use JPEG compression. So there is not much of a point in trying to maintain TIFF files in that workflow when all you end up with is a JPG file packed in a PDF file.

Illustrator can output JPG directly or TIFF (with lossless compression). You can really tinker with compression well if you use Save for Web in Illustrator. Photoshop is just an extra step.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections