MB
Posted By
Mary_Blossom
Jan 31, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
About a month ago Photoshop started having some problems opening. At the time I would close everything, restart, and then it would open. Now I cannot get it to open at all. The following is things I have tried. I use Photoshop daily, so I really need a solution or even some other suggestions.

-Put in the cd and ran the repair tool.
-Went to add/remove programs and uninstalled, then reinstalled. -Downloaded any updates.
-Read in the mac forums where they suggested opening Bridge and then trying to open in Photoshop. Ok, I think that is about it.
When I try to open the program, it starts loading, but when it gets to tools it shuts down. I even tried removing the tools folder. No error, No freezing. It just won’t load.

Operating info:
Windows XP, Service Pack 2
Dell Latitude D620

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
dave_milbut
Jan 31, 2007
reset your preferences per the faq:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.ef4a07f/1>
MB
Mary_Blossom
Feb 1, 2007
Dave,
Thank you so much! This did it. I searched the faq, but I would not have guessed to try deleting the preferences.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 1, 2007
no problem mary. glad it worked!
dave
MB
Mary_Blossom
May 8, 2007
Me again. The suggestion about deleting the preferences did work once or twice. Since then I have been reinstalling Photoshop each day that I want to use it or logging out of the admin account and into another. Now the second user account is also crashing and I can only use the ctrl/alt/shift trick once. What has happened to my administrator account that Photoshop crashes? Any ideas? When I uninstall I have been selecting to leave the registration info. Would it help to delete that? Any other ideas?

Window XP, Service Pack 2
Photoshop CS2
Dell Latitude D620
DM
dave_milbut
May 9, 2007
couple things could be going on

are you closing photoshop completely (file> exit) or do you shut down your machine at the end of the day and let windows close the open applications? that would cause corrupt preferences. you should always exit from the menu.

also there should be no need to reinstall if resetting the prefrences works.

do you own the box or is it a work pc? if it’s a work box, make sure your tech people are aware of the required permissions to run photoshop… outlined in the FAQ here:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bb46518/0>

I can only use the ctrl/alt/shift trick once.

why is that? you can do that whenever the prefs get corrupt. also you can get it working, set everything up the way you like it and save the pref (the file location is in the faq) and if/when they get corrupted, all you have to do is delete the old ones and copy your saved ones back in.

When I uninstall I have been selecting to leave the registration info. Would it help to delete that? Any other ideas?

you shouldn’t have to uninstall and reinstall at all (and that does nothing to fix prefs. because prefs are created after installation, they’re not removed on uninstall).
MB
Mary_Blossom
May 14, 2007
Yes, I always close using File/Exit.
I do own the box, but yes it is on a work pc. Unfortunately we are currently without an IT person. I am the administrator account.

I don’t know why the crtl/alt/shift trick isn’t working anymore or why it worked the first 5 or 6 times I was able to do it. Also, as I said before using another account did work for a while. Of course I am not able to customize the prefrences because of my main problem- I cannot get photoshop to completely load.

What else could I do? As I said, I run the repair tool from the cd and select to leave registration info, but I don’t see how that could be any problem.

I have been using this laptop since November and Photoshop did work for a short time. What could have gone wrong and more importantly what can I do?!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections