P
Posted By
PictureDude
Dec 3, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there anyway that i can move up or down on the layers, using the keyboard? instead of taking the mouse and clicking on another layer?

The keyboard would be a shortcut for me…

Thanks in advance…

Gary

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Dec 3, 2008
Yes. Using the bracket keys [ ] and combinations with Shift, Command and Option you can move up and down, move the Layers themselves and jump to the top or bottom, etc.
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Dec 3, 2008
Command/Control click on the layer and select the layer you want to target from the context menu.
P
Phosphor
Dec 4, 2008
No one reads post #1.
P
PECourtejoie
Dec 5, 2008
That’s why I re-posted it 😀

I think that I re-visited the thread, and that post 1 was hidden from view.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Dec 6, 2008
Yes, when trying to move a layer to the top of the stack this is the only way these days, option [ ], because its too difficult by dragging.
JD
Jaddie_Dodd
Dec 8, 2008
Dear Friends

I think there’s a shortcut missing from the linked PDF.

And it’s one that I don’t remember off the top of my head. There’s a shortcut for making a new layer from all of the other visible layers. (It’s sort of like flattening the image, but all layers remain intact.)

I recall that it’s a handful of keys, something like Command-Shift-Option-E.

–Jaddie
SW
Scott_Weichert
Dec 8, 2008
Jaddie,

Merge visible is Command-Option-Shift-E. This will merge everything that is visible to the current selected layer. It’s often better to create a new layer first. I tend to use Command-Option-Shift-N, then Command-Option-Shift-E. That way everything that is visible is merged to a new layer, not an existing one.
JD
Jaddie_Dodd
Dec 8, 2008
Dear Scott

I believe there’s a shortcut that’ll get both of these steps done with one operation.

–Jaddie
JD
Jaddie_Dodd
Dec 8, 2008
Dear Scott & Friends

I’m using CS4 on a Mac and just confirmed that Command-Option-Shift-E will put all visible layers onto a new layer. In other words, that single command creates a new layer, puts a merged copy of all visible layers on that new layer, and leaves all of the other layers alone.

–Jaddie
P
Phosphor
Dec 8, 2008
Jaddie,

Not that I remember. Scott’s way (Stamp Linked or Stamp Visible) is THE way, AFAIK.

Maybe an Action could do it in one shot or a Script.
P
PECourtejoie
Dec 8, 2008
Jaddie, in the past, one needed to create an empty layer first, with Command-Option-Shift-N, as Scott described. Then one was doing a Merge visible to fill that empty layer with the content of all layers with Command-Option-Shift-E.

Starting one or two versions ago, Command-Option-Shift-E is now automatically adding a layer on top of the currently selected layer IF no empty layer is targeted. That means that indeed, one can do it in one stop now, without risk of affecting a layer as Photoshop senses if there is pixel content, or even a layer mask, then creates a new layer for the merge.

Hold habits makes most of us create a transparent layer first, so that we can move it where we want it, then we merge visible. Brings control earlier in the creation process. But it is not so necessary, as we can move the merged layer after its automatic generation.
P
Phosphor
Dec 9, 2008
Okay. I guess I was wrong.
P
PECourtejoie
Dec 10, 2008
"Hold habits?"

I really need to turn my brain on, sometimes… Or it is the finger that was typing the "h" too soon?
R
Ram
Dec 10, 2008
I do that all the time, typing letters of words yet to come…
P
PictureDude
Dec 17, 2008
ok, now that i’ve got moving between layers with the Keyboard, how can i do this…

I have a layer mask as one of my layers and i have to hold the cmd and click on the layer mask to load the layers.

So if i’m on that layer mask, is there a Keyboard Shortcut to load the mask, like clicking the mouse on that layer?

Thanks for all of your help…

Gary
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Dec 17, 2008
Extremely difficult to understand the way you have explained it. Its going to be difficult to help without a better description of what you are trying to do

See if this helps you can command click a layer MASK or a layer thumbnail – they both do different things, one loads the mask as a selection, the other loads the layer TRANSPARENCY as a selection.
P
PictureDude
Dec 17, 2008
Yes, i want to find a Keyboard Shortcut without using the mouse to Cmd-click on the layer mask to load that mask.

Gary
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Dec 17, 2008
Yes, you can set one up in this way- record an action to "set selection to current channel" this is done by clicking once on the current layer mask. Then assign a keyboard shortcut to your action.

There is also an item in the new Masks panel drop down called "add mask to selection" – you should be able to assign any keyboard shortcut to this, but I just checked and as yet they haven’t uncluded the new Masks Panel in Keyboard Shortcuts yet

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections