CM
Posted By
cameron_mcvean
Jun 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I foolishly tweeked a couple of files (2.5mb JPEGS) in Elements and saved the changes, forgetting that my software seems to default back to saving at the highest compression, leaving the file sizes at approx 200KB. These are fairly important images and my only copies — how can I return these to their original sizes, or at least to something big enough to print at 9×6? Cheers.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 30, 2004
Ah, you can’t. Unless you archived a copy of the original from the source (camera?) A lot of us compulsive types here on the forum make working on a duplicate part of our usual workflow. Personally, I archive the original of every camera shot I take (well, all that don’t wind up directly in the trash bin that is.) Something like this has happened to everybody at one time or another, so you’ve got a lot of company. It’s a hard lesson sometimes, but…

Edit: I guess I should have added that another part of my usual workflow is to convert image files to a non-lossy format before editing, too. That compression feature of the JPEG format means you lose quality after each edit and resave. This isn’t noticeable right away in most pictures, but they will degrade significantly over time. TIFF and PSD are the best choices.
KM
katie_muldoon
Jul 3, 2004
I can’t get a standard print size. I’m trying to print an 11×14 format picture, but I repeatedly keep getting 9×14 size images. I’ve tried resizing the image and the canvas and using page setup to resize, but the program creates its own dimensions. HELP!
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 3, 2004
Your original image is not in same ratio as 11×14.
Just mathematical fact.
Same reason you can’t make an 8×10 or 11×14 from 35mm frame.

You’ll either have to crop or size down slightly on 11×14 paper size, with larger border on the short side.

Mac

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections