WG
Posted By
Walter_Govertsen
Jul 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have an HP PhotoSmart S20 scanner that I use for importing to Photoshop Elements. After the 2nd or 3rd scan when I go to import the next photo the message "Could not open the TWAIN source. Make sure there is a valid source for your scanner in the TWAIN dirictory found in the Windows directory" comes up and I have to do a restart of the pc. I am using a Dell 4600 with 512KB RAM running Windows XP Home Edition. Prior to this pc I was using Photoshop Elements on an IBM Aptiva running Windows 98 and I could import photos all day without any problems. Does anyone know of a fix for this problem?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jul 5, 2004
Walter,

Twain can be tricky. I had a similar problem with my Canon scanner when I went to a new XP Dell from Win 98. I needed an XP update from Canon and I seemed to need to install the scanner after everything else to be sure the twain drivers were not overwritten. (I also found that, though my HP 970 printer sort of worked with the 98 software it really needed the XP driver to work consistently.)

Since no one else has come up with anything I took a look at HP’s support site just in case you haven’t.

I found this update for upgrading from 98 to XP.

"The update is for persons upgrading from Windows 98, NT, 2000, and Me. The update will only run in Windows XP. The scanner must be plugged into the USB interface and powered on before running this update. Choose the file you want to download to your system. With your mouse, click on the file. The file will decompress and install automatically."

It can be found here: <http://tinyurl.com/3yzj6>

I’ve had some strange results with tinyurl so if that doesn’t work go here and work your way down:

<http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html>

Hope this helps.

Bob
WG
Walter_Govertsen
Jul 5, 2004
I’ll give this a try. Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections