PS Elements2 – Jpeg 2000 plug-in – Which programs for printing photo books accept Jpeg 2000 formatte

LS
Posted By
Leah_Schulz
Jul 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to create a photo book such as Microsoft My Publisher Bookmaker or Snapfish memory book. So far they do not support Jpeg 2000 (my PS Elements 2 plug-in) for better quality images. Does anyone know of a quality book making source which accepts jpeg 2000 formatting?

Any experienced assistance is welcome, Thank-you. Leah

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth_Haney
Jul 16, 2004
Leah, JPEG2000 isn’t being used as widely as originally thought when it was developed, so your choices will be extremely limited – assuming you can find any at all. JPEG2000 gives you a better image at a smaller size, but a regular JPEG should work just as well as long as you don’t skimp and try to compress it too much. Do all of your editing in a non-lossy format like TIFF or PSD and then do a conversion to JPEG of any images you want printed. You shouldn’t lose quality if you avoid editing and resaves while using JPEG and save at the highest quality available. Yes, JPEG2000 does have advantages, but those aren’t catching on too quickly in the real world.
LS
Leah_Schulz
Aug 16, 2004
PS Elements2 – Jpeg 2000 plug-in – Which programs for printing photo books accept Jpeg 2000 formatte

Beth,

Thank-you ever so much for your response. It has helped me tremendously!

I truly appreciate your kindness in taking the time to assist in this formerly troublesome matter for me. Leah.

(Sorry it took me awhile to respond, but none-the-less I am thrilled to have had your assistance – Your advice works great!)
LS
Leah_Schulz
Aug 25, 2004
Help! What a daunting task this has become. I am humbled by you "pros" when I read the forums. It seems daunting for you too!Here is all the info I have gathered for anyone patient enough to assist me:

My goal:
Digital Photos taken in Italy (as photo amateurs) for my husband’s architectural firm to print into a book form for a BIG client who is doing a heavily Italian influenced home. (Also a second book for my husband for our own personal enjoyment from the trip)

Camera: Sony Cybershot – Exif color space sRGB Exif version 0210 Photo Editing: PhotoShop 2.0.2
(I converted my jpegs to psd for enhancement in a lossless format – I am pretty satisfied with adjustments – now want to batch convert back to jpeg. Question #1) Understanding that the view on screen is 72ppi and print output according to Elements 2 will be 300ppi. (I found this info while viewing an original unchanged jpeg image as I viewed Edit – preferences – "new document preset resolutions"). Should I stop fussing over seeing pixels while viewing on screen because the higher resolution for print will smooth out these things? I have not monkeyed around with changing image size with regard to resolution as warned. Some images just had to be cropped for better presentation of architectural details – but I did not increase resolution. When batch processing back to jpeg (jpeg required by My Publisher Bookmaker) should I leave the resolution alone or choose the option to increase resolution to 150 for the conversion to jpeg?

I set my flat screen monitor adjustments using adobe gamma starting with profile sRGB IEC61966-2.1 because Elements 2 seems to offer this as the option when I converted my jpegs to psd for lossless format before enhancing photos. After testing with and without this icc option checkmark, I felt the optional profile would be better to use also when Saving an image in psd after enhancement. Again, my monitor (though adjusted)icc color management profile is using the original source sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

I also use the adjusted sRGB IEC61966-2.1 icc profile for my printer, in hopes for consistency. But for now let’s forget about my printer and think about uploading to "My Publisher BookMaker".
Will Bookmaker likely use offset printing? They use glossy paper, do I need to set a profile for glossy paper? Am I splitting hairs worrying about this? Bookmaker provides crude adjustments for photos which is why I decided to purchase Elements 2.0. Now that my photos look alot better according to my fussy-though-amateur preferences for enhancement, should I just get on with it and batch convert back to Jpeg with or without the higher resolution of 150 for the converted jpegs?

Signed, Swarming with confusion after reading in the forum about all the variables to get a good printed photo that looks like the screen image, Leah.
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 25, 2004
Leah,

What is the make of your printer?
JH
Jim_Hess
Aug 27, 2004
Leah,

In my opinion, if you can see pixels on the screen it is quite likely that you will see them in the printed version is well. Perhaps you have cropped more than is practical, I don’t know. As far as what settings to use on your printer, I think this is something you just have to experiment with until you feel that you know how your printer will respond. I know, it is a painful process. I had a photo than I worked on for days to get it to look just the way I wanted it. But I wasted nearly three quarters of my two ink cartridges trying to figure out how to make it print the way I wanted it. The more I printed the angrier I became, but I also became more determined to get it right.

Another thing you might consider would be to order photo books from <http://www.ofoto.com>. I haven’t ordered a book yet, but I have had good experiences ordering prints and enlargements from them.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections