CD
Posted By
Carl_Dahlke
Dec 28, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have 3 ways that Photoshop CS4 is not working in 16 bit mode.

1. If I attempt to use Image->Mode to change an 8 bit image to a 16 bit image Photoshop crashes.

2. If I open a raw file using Camera Raw, and then click the open image button in Camera Raw, the image opens in Photoshop if I have Camera Raw in 8 bit mode, but Photoshop crashes if I have Camera Raw in 16 bit mode.

3. An export from Lightroom 2.2 (using command-E in Lightroom) now crashes Photoshop.

I’m sure the problem is with Photoshop, not the files because the problem manifests itself with raw files from at least 3 different cameras.

I’m running on Mac OS-X 1.4.11 with 4G of RAM.

Any ideas why the 16 bit mode would stop working?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NT
Nini Tj
Dec 28, 2008
Insufficient free diskspace maybe?
CD
Carl Dahlke
Dec 28, 2008
I doubt that insufficient disk space is the problem, I have 371G free on my boot and scratch disks and 101G free on my image disks.
D
DYP
Dec 28, 2008
Profiles is the first place I would look. Move all unnecessary profiles to an unusable location and then see what happens. If that allows 16-bit image to open then you can put them a few at a time and see if you can find the corrupt one. Don’t rule out the monitor profile.

If it is not any profiles, then move PS preference files out of the user preference folder. You may have already done this.

If none of this works then create a new user and see what happen when running from that account.
CD
Carl Dahlke
Dec 29, 2008
Resolved the problem by cloning a backup drive to my boot disk. The backup drive was a couple of system updates behind my boot drive, so I’m going to reinstall them one by one and see if one of the OS updates created the problem.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections