NT
Posted By
Nini Tj
Dec 28, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
One of our users is having a problem with colored, horizontal, 1 pixel lines intermittently appearing in photos worked on in Photoshop CS2 (as far as I know he is in Tiger – unable to check presently as I am at home and he is in his home and evrybody is off on holidays…). I will ask him about OS etc, but will probably not get an answer immediately.

Does somebody maybe remember what causes this (if the description is enough)? Reminds me of the white lines in images sometimes talked about. But these are colored, horizontal. I did a forum search and a kb search but found nothing.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 28, 2008
Nini,

As these artifacts print they could mean a failing hard drive or RAM, or loose cable connections, bad cable, or poorly seated RAM. Or maybe a failing printer or clogged printer nozzles. Or maybe some nearby electrical device cycling on and off (refrigerator, air conditioner, electric heater, etc.)

Do these also appear onscreen?

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 28, 2008
Nini:

It sounds like the sort of file corruption that you get from working and saving an open document over a network.

Does he have a back-up because his current file is probably toast?
R
Ram
Dec 28, 2008
I agree with the first part of Neil’s post, but, if the artifacts appear both on screen and on the prints, I would rule out a clogged printer nozzle. 😀

If they’re on the screen but not on the prints, the likely culprit is a faulty video card.

If they’re both on the screen and the prints, then the first sentence in Neil’s post applies: As these artifacts print they could mean a failing hard drive or RAM, or loose cable connections, bad cable, or poorly seated RAM.

It really needs to be clarified whether he’s seeing this on the screen, the prints, or both.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 28, 2008
Ramón,

No disagreement, of course. But as Nini did not address any onscreen issue, I wanted to cover that base.

And Ann, of course, covers the other issue that comes to mind, corrupted network file transfers.

Neil
GB
g_ballard
Dec 28, 2008
Also try adding – bad Ram corruption – to your search as these are also symptoms of bad ram

Typical symptoms of bad Ram in Photoshop include rows lines patches of bad pixels on screen that also print (the actual file is being corrupted). If the bad pixel areas are on the monitor, but do not print (the actual file is not corrupted), video card or video-card drivers are prime suspects.

• A bad cable, bad card, bad switch, bad/misconfigured router, bad repeater, bad termination, bad wiring, bad hard drive, bad controller, bad connections, bad logic board, bad CPU — just about anything between your computer and other computers can also cause these symptoms in Photoshop, said Adobe computer engineer Chris Cox.
NT
Nini Tj
Dec 29, 2008
Yes, they are onscren, on exported pdfs as well, not only a screen artifact. Got an answer from him over night.

He has not updated his Photoshop CS2 since he installed it almost five years ago (! some photographers…), which should mean 9.0. He is using Mac OS X 10.3.9 (well, some really never update anything…). He didn’t tell me which computer he has but I guess that doesn’t matter.

Thanks for all the answers, I’ll forward them to him. Sounds like he is going to need a new computer pretty soon…
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 29, 2008
Nini,

Sounds like he is going to need a new computer pretty soon…

Sounds like a hardware problem as we’ve detailed (but not printer, of course). Depending upon the problem and overall system capability, it may or not need to be replaced.

Neil

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections