J
Posted By
JMR
Jun 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a scanned black & white drawing where I want to paint color in the white parts without painting over the black lines. What’s the easiest way to do this?

(The latest Macworld had an article about a similar idea, except they showed how to paint over the black lines & leave the white space intact. I tried skipping the step where they inverted the selection created by loading the gray channel as a selection but that didn’t seem to work.)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

A
arrooke1
Jun 8, 2004
I have a scanned black & white drawing where I want to paint color in the white parts without painting over the black lines. What’s the easiest way to do this?

(The latest Macworld had an article about a similar idea, except they showed how to paint over the black lines & leave the white space intact. I tried skipping the step where they inverted the selection created by loading the gray channel as a selection but that didn’t seem to work.)

Select the area you want to colour and paint away. If you’re on the wrong side of the selection, invert the selection [select > inverse]. Next time don’t skip steps : )
G
g-w
Jun 8, 2004
JMR wrote:

Magic Wand, set it to add to the selection each time you click and if the line is close to the other color lower the tolerance. Once selected, just paint over the selected area with the color(s) of your choice.

g-w
N
nomail
Jun 8, 2004
g-w wrote:

JMR wrote:

Magic Wand, set it to add to the selection each time you click and if the line is close to the other color lower the tolerance. Once selected, just paint over the selected area with the color(s) of your choice.

Or even simpler: Don’t select anything. Just take a brush. Set the mode from "Normal" to "Darken" and start painting.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
WO
Wizard of Draws
Jun 8, 2004
On 6/8/04 11:55 AM, in article
, "JMR"
wrote:

1. Set your lineart layer mode to ‘multiply’.

2. Create a layer beneath your lineart layer.

3. Paint on the bottom layer.

Jeff ‘The Wizard of Draws’ Bucchino
Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
www.wizardofdraws.com
www.cartoonclipart.com
A
arrooke1
Jun 9, 2004

Brilliant! I like it.
Thanks Jeff,
Keith.
J
JMR
Jun 9, 2004
Thnaks for the tips everyone!

Jeff–can you explain to a PS novice the advantage of your technique veersus painting with the brush set to darken mode?

In article <BCEBC8BD.121E5%>,
Wizard of Draws wrote:

On 6/8/04 11:55 AM, in article
, "JMR"
wrote:

O
Odysseus
Jun 9, 2004
In article ,
JMR wrote:

[top-posting fixed]

In article <BCEBC8BD.121E5%>,
Wizard of Draws wrote:

Jeff–can you explain to a PS novice the advantage of your technique veersus painting with the brush set to darken mode?

What occurs to me is that it keeps the ‘paint’ separate from the ‘ink’, so you can use any selection & painting tools, filters, &c., on it that you like. (It also allows the two kinds of artwork to be handled independently as may be required to get the best or most efficient results in certain kinds of output.) For example, when using a darken-mode brush on the same layer, if you notice long after the fact that a darkish colour ‘leaked’ into an area that should have been filled with a paler one, it would be rather tricky to effect repairs without altering the original outlines, but if done on an independent layer would be very easy to fix.

(Painting in a layer set to darken mode and *above* the linework would provide very similar advantages and results.)

Odysseus
WO
Wizard of Draws
Jun 10, 2004
On 6/8/04 10:09 PM, in article
, "JMR"
wrote:

The object is simply to keep your color and lineart separate. You could use ‘darken’ mode and paint on a layer above the lineart and end up with the same result, but I’ve chosen layer below and multiply as my method. It seems to be the most logical in my mind.

Most of my cartoons have at least 3 layers: line, color, background. But the complicated ones have any number of layers when you add things like text, shadows or glows, etc.
Each one gets a separate layer to make it as easy as possible for me to alter at a later date if needed. Over the years I’ve found that the easy way to save yourself time and aggravation with Photoshop is to build in safety nets so that you can change anything you do. For example, I’ve developed a method for taking a 72dpi 100×100 pixel logo that I may have created for a fantasy sports team, and within just a few minutes, have a 8"x10" print quality version suitable for t-shirts or a glossy color brochure…no plug-ins or special filters required. 🙂

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
www.wizardofdraws.com
www.cartoonclipart.com

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections