Posted By
Richard_Sohanchyk
Dec 30, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Two problems I have on an ongoing basis in CS3/OS 10.4.11:

1) PSD files don’t have previews. I see some generic 2 columns of text. JPGs and TIFs show a file preview.

2) Even more annoying, my prefs don’t stick. Almost every day I have to redefine my prefs: scratch disks, cursor size, warnings, etc. Drives me nuts.

Any solutions appreciated. Thx.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Dec 30, 2008

1) PSD files don’t have previews. I see some generic 2 columns of text.
JPGs and TIFs show a file preview.

Where? In the Finder or in Bridge?

2) Even more annoying, my prefs don’t stick.

Is Photoshop crashing on you? Photoshop saves its preferences when you quit the application in an orderly fashion. If it’s crashing on you, or if you’re force-quitting it, prefs won’t be saved

What have you tried so far? Trashing the prefs files? Repairing permissions? Running Disk Warrior? Creating a fresh new account and logging in as a different user to see if the problem persists or goes away?
RS
Richard_Sohanchyk
Jan 1, 2009
The finder for previews. Bridge is a charm but sometimes I just need to see one specific file.

I run DU as needed. Maybe the force quitting. I noticed at the end of the day when I’m leaving (I like to quit all apps) a lot of suite apps don’t quit or take forever and I have to go and force quit. Maybe I should just leave the apps active or let them take their time quitting.
P
Phosphor
Jan 1, 2009
What are your settings for Photoshop Ò Preferences Ò Image Handling…?

< http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/10.0/WSfd1234e1c4b 69f30ea53e41001031ab64-7720.html>
R
Ram
Jan 1, 2009
Maybe I should just leave the apps active or let them take their time quitting.

Duh!
P
Phosphor
Jan 1, 2009
Heh…missed the part you "Duh!-ed" about.

I’ll second that emotion, with feeling.

"Maybe I should just leave the apps active or let them take their time quitting."

DUH!!!

XD
RS
Richard_Sohanchyk
Jan 2, 2009
Never even occurred to me that force quitting would screw up prefs. Doesn’t occur with ID that I’m aware of
R
Ram
Jan 2, 2009
Force quitting screws up a lot of stuff. It should only be used as an absolute result and with the understanding that you’d better do some serious maintenance after using that command.
NT
Nini Tj
Jan 2, 2009
All Adobe apps (and other ones too) write their preferences and changes on regular quit and not before that (including InDesign), which is why it sometimes can take some time to quit. Force-quitting unnecessarily is a bad habit which can not only screw up preferences but also the application itself in the long run. Should only be used if you are really stuck and application won’t quit after several minutes waiting or if it says "not responding" in the force quit dialog.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 2, 2009
Think of force quitting as pulling the plug. It’s not something you would could regularly do with your computer without consequences.

Neil

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections