LF
Posted By
LeAnn_Fenton
Dec 31, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know its an old program but I don’t have the funds to go out and buy a newer one.

I’m running it on a Probook, or MacBook 10.4.8.

I’ve tried whiping both computers, reinstalling everything and I’m still getting this error and only on Photoshop. And yes I only install it on one of the computers at a time. Indesign, Bridge and Illustrator all work fine.

When I launch Photoshop I get a Space Monkey 9.0 screen with no registration info on it aside from a strange #. Once it loads it says "Your Adobe Photoshop User Name, organization, or serial # is missing or invalid. The application cannot continue and must now exit." I checked the Adobe Registration Database and the Number is the same as the number for the other programs after the EPIC_SERIAL= for the other programs and my name is after EPIC_NAME=. I tried entering my actual serial # in the slot, same result, and when tried on the other programs they didn’t like it.

I’ve tried also removing the Adobe Registration Database and running the install CD to the part when I type in my cerial # and its accepted then quiting. I still get the Space Monkey.

I’m the only one that loaded this software, and I bought the disk set brand new 2 1/2 years ago.

Please help or reffer me to a similar post that still is active, I’m out of ideas and I need the software to run for work purposes. And its giving me a complex about monkeys, robot rubber ducks, and them being in space.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Phosphor
Dec 31, 2008
Hmmm…

Where did you get your copy of PS CS2?

I hate to say this, and I’m not trying to be accusatory, but I kind of remember that there may have been some bootleg or pirated versions that were sold which displayed the "Space Monkey" splash screen. This was meant to be displayed as the primary splash ONLY for Beta testing versions (even though it can be accessed as an "Easter Egg" from legitimate, consumer release versions). Even some usually-trustworthy retailers got fooled into buying the bootlegs.

If you’re reasonably sure that the version you have is legitimate you may want to contact Adobe customer service directly. If a representative tells you they no longer support that version, ask to speak to their supervisor.

Contact information can be found on a link that the top of every p[age on the Adobe website.
LF
LeAnn_Fenton
Dec 31, 2008
I bought it from Fry’s Electronics brand new sealed packaging and everything, and it did work for a long time until one day, I went to go fiddle with a picture on Photoshop. I don’t use it everyday so I’m uncertin after what update it was whether it was for Adobe or mac os. Its also why I’m really reluctant to shell out a lot of money for a newer version.

I tried whiping both the computer and the software, and I verified my serial # with the Adobe Customer Service and my name, and when they sent me to help they told me my version was too old like you said. I’ll try again asking again.

I find it strange tho that the serial number works for CS2 Illustrator, bridge and Indesign just fine and not Photoshop.
R
Ram
Jan 1, 2009
I’ve tried whiping both computers,

Now, violence doesn’t do any good when it comes to computers. Put your whip away and try again.

CS2 works just fine in Tiger 10.4.11 on my machine.

<http://sambot.com/2005/07/adobe-space-monkey.html>

When Space Monkey came up a window said my user name or registration was invalid. My name was not above the serial # on the Space Monkey screen. I went to(Libary/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Registration Database) and each instance with EPIC NAME= I put my name like the others. Two were blank I type in my name in the blank space now it works fine.

…or, from that same page:

For those of you on Mac who are experiencing expired serial number problems:

Go to /Library/Application Support/Adobe

Move the file ‘Adobe Registration Database’

Run the installer off the CD

Enter your SN#

Once the SN is accepted, quit the installer. It will have created a new Database file, and Photoshop should now work.
MC
Melissa_Curtis
Jan 22, 2009
I too have the Space Monkey 9.0 screen. I purchased Creative Suite CS2 legitimately and have been using it for a couple of years until one day my MAC crashed and had to get another hard drive. After installing it again, Photoshop is the only program not working. (Illustrator opens and works fine)

I’ve opened the Adobe Registration Database and made sure the names and registration numbers match and still no avail. I finally contacted Adobe, but they are unable to assist because I don’t have CS4 (the latest version).

Here’s the most perplexing part: Even if I purchased the upgrade now (which I don’t have the money for) it still wouldn’t work because my CS2 isn’t working.

The rep from Adobe did suggest posting here for some assistance. Does anyone have a work around for this problem? I can provide proof of purchase. I’m currently using Photoshop 7.0 on my other computer which is driving me crazy!

Any help is appreciated.
R
Ram
Jan 22, 2009
Even if I purchased the upgrade now (which I don’t have the money for) it still wouldn’t work because my CS2 isn’t working.

Not true at all.

The upgrade is a FULL installer and does not need any previous version to install and run. It will simply prompt you for the old serial number as well as the new one. All Adobe upgrades are FULL installers.

have been using it for a couple of years until one day my MAC

Hmmmm… Typing MAC fot Mac is usually a dead giveaway for a Mac newbie.

Anyway, have you tried re-installing CS2?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 23, 2009
When you installed your new HD, did you try to copy your Applications and files over to it from another machine or from a back-up copy of your old HD?

Try removing all of your CS2 Applications — including their Preference files.

Run DiskWarrior and Repair Permissions and then re-install the CS2 Suite from the original CDs.

Then Run DiskWarrior and Repair Permissions again for good measure.
MC
Melissa_Curtis
Jan 23, 2009
Good to know the upgrades are FULL installers. When I get enough money to upgrade I’ll definitely go for that.

I followed the uninstall procedure from the original package and Adobe website to completely remove CS2 and then I reinstalled it before posting my initial question.

I just researched DiskWarrior and Repair Permissions and just to clarify am I to purchase DiskWarrior software and then run Repair Permissions from the Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app?

Also, I opened the Disk Utility.app and I’m concerned running this might mess up other applications or even prevent booting Mac OS X. Will Repairing Disk Permissions impair my computer further?

Again, thanks for the assistance.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 23, 2009
Repairing the permission will not impair your computer and you might after doing that verify the disk from the same utility and the same tabbed section.

If the disk needs repair then wait till you get the Disk Warrior disk and boot from DW disk and repair.
B
Buko
Jan 23, 2009
Also remember anything CS2 on a MacBook is running in "Emulation".
R
Ram
Jan 23, 2009
Repairing Permissions is basic maintenance.

I still advocate Repairing Permissions (with Apple’s Disk Utility) before AND after any system update or upgrade, as well as before AND after installing any software that requires an installer that asks for your password.

I have seen software installations go sour because the installer did not find everything as and where it should be.

I have also seen software installations go bad because the installer did not clean up after itself properly and did not leave everything as and where it should be.

This is just my own personal opinion and practice based on my own observations. Others may disagree and that’s OK. I can only base my routines and my advice to others on my own experience and conclusion. I don’t pretend to know why others believe otherwise.

Repairing Permissions after the fact (i. e. not immediately before and after an install) may NOT help. Try it anyway, though.

====

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended by Apple, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.

Cron Scripts are maintenance routines designed by Apple to run on a daily, weekly and monthly basis in the middle of the night.

If you don’t run them, you WILL run into trouble, sooner rather than later.

Here’s an excerpt from the Apple tech doc <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107388>

Mac OS X performs background maintenance tasks at certain times if the computer is not in sleep mode. If your computer is shut down or in sleep at the designated times, the maintenance does not occur. In that case, you may want or need to run these manually.
Mac OS X periodically runs background tasks that, in part, remove system files that are no longer needed. This includes purging older information from log files or deleting certain temporary items. These tasks do not run if the computer is shut down or in sleep mode. If the tasks do not run, it is possible that certain log files (such as system.log) may become very large.
Also, from: <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106978>

The disk activity generated by find is a normal part of file system maintenance, used for tasks such as removing invisible temporary files that are used by the system. It is scheduled to occur early in the morning at 03:15 everyday, 04:30 on Saturdays, and 05:30 on the first day of each month.

NOTE: There have been comments to the effect that Apple "fixed" this in 10.4.2 and later versions of the OS, but I have not been able to verify this to my satisfaction. The reference in the 10.4.2 release notes are far from explicit on this subject.

= = =

If you have DiskWarrior, run it regularly too.
LF
LeAnn_Fenton
Jan 23, 2009
Here’s what I found out. It was because I had two computers that installed the same software that gave me the problem. Even tho I had thought I had deleted the software completely from one computer it didn’t update the permissions. Here’s the link I found from Adobe on the issue.

< http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=33 1799>

It also addresses a lot of other causes that can mess it up. As far as Photoshop not working and the rest in the suite working just fine, it seems all Adobe really has a care about protecting is PS, so this trigger isn’t built into the other programs.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections