Posted By
Corey_Spann
Jan 9, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

Does anyone know an easy way to create a composite image in a pie form? I have a customer that wants three images, where each image is exactly 1/3 of the pie. It seemed like an easy request at first, but in practice I’m finding it a bit more difficult.

I’ve selected the three images that I need to put in each of the 1/3 areas, but how can I create the circle I need to put them in with exact 1/3 sections?

I don’t know if any of this makes sense, but I’ve been screwing around with this and it just isn’t working. Maybe someone has done this before with some insight.

Corey

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CS
Corey_Spann
Jan 9, 2009
Thanks, I’ll take a look there…
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 9, 2009
Another idea is to use Illustrator’s (pie) chart making ability, and place the required image in each section.

Neil
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 9, 2009
Illustrators Polar Grid tool concentric dividers set to 0 and radial dividers set to 3. Type in the size you want or drag the tool holding the shift key.
CS
Corey_Spann
Jan 9, 2009
I can see I am gonna have to just fiddle around with this more than I originally thought, and time is just what I don’t have right now.

I doubt it will ever make in on Adobe’s radar, but some method for placing multiple images within geometric shapes such as divided circles, etc. would be an awesome time saver. I think they have all the basic stuff down pretty good by now, maybe it’s time to look at the lesser used but too complicated things for those of us working in the trenches…

Sorry, it’s my Friday afternoon rant. 🙂
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 9, 2009
Corey,

but some method for placing multiple images within geometric shapes such as divided circles, etc.

The ability to place an image inside a masked shape has been basic to Photoshop for a long time.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 9, 2009
Corey,

but some method for placing multiple images within geometric shapes such as divided circles, etc.

The ability to place an image inside a masked or otherwise designated shape has been basic to Photoshop for a long time.

Neil
P
ps1
Jan 9, 2009
You could also "clip" the images to the shape(s), you know, where you have your shape on a layer, your image on a layer above that, then option-click on the line (layers palette) between the two layers. Not to be confused with Clipping PATHS.

From PS Help (CS3) enter "Clipping Mask" in the search field — Guess you could do the same in CS4, but the Help there leaves something to be desired…
JF
john_findley
Jan 10, 2009

1. Shift+Elliptical Marquee = circle; Stroke 1 pixel
2. New layer:
3. Shift+Line=vertical line
4. Copy line, Translate>Rotate 120 degrees
5. Copy line 2, repeat step 4
6. Arrange the three lines so they radiate from the center of the circle.
7. Stick the images into the resulting segments
P
Phosphor
Jan 11, 2009
J (Maloney) pointed to a good thread. Post there and revive the conversation if you want to, Corey.

It’s a good topic, a tough one to explain quickly, and still quite ripe for more exploration.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections