Posted By
Jeff_Berns
Jul 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,
I have 2 problems that I have discovered involving fonts. I have Elements 2 installed in XP Pro and when I choose Franklin Gothic Heavy it only works in Italic (I have not clicked on italic tab). In other programs I have the choice of regular or italic (Publisher & Word). Second, when I use "Genuine" and press (‘)apostrophe what appears is an outline of a box. Do I need to reload these fonts? Reload Elements or is this a very simple fix?
Thanks,
JB

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

LM
Lou_M
Jul 24, 2004
Hi, Jeff.

Not sure about your first problem.

For your second problem, are you sure the "Genuine" font has an apostrophe? Some highly stylized fonts have only a very basic character set. Does the apostrophe work for the "Genuine" font in other programs?

Lou
TF
Terri_Foster
Jul 24, 2004
Jeff,

I’m not sure if this means anything but my Franklin Gothic Medium and Franklin Gothic Italic fonts show up as separate entries in both PSE and PSCS.

Terri
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 24, 2004
JB,

The way fonts work is that Italic and regular are all really different set of fonts. Now, this is transparent for most users. Some software, like Photoshop (not Elements) will even create Italic version when the fonts don¹t offer them. I suspect that’s the case for the software you mentioned (Publisher and Word).

However, Elements will take whatever it’s there. It will not emulate new styles. That’s probably why your font doesn’t appear the way you want it in Elements.

If you look in C:\WINDOWS\FONTS, you’ll probably find several fonts with the same name, but ending with "it" (italic). In this case, Frahv.ttf (Franklin Gothic Heavy) and Frahvit.ttf (Franklin Gothic Heavy Italic) Those are genuine bold and italic fonts.

Ray
JB
Jeff_Berns
Jul 24, 2004
Lou,

I get the apostrophe in other programs.

JB
JB
Jeff_Berns
Jul 24, 2004
Raymond,

I’m confused because sitting in C:\WINDOWS\FONTS are both Franklin gothic heavy regular and italic so shouldn’t they show up in the Element list?

JB

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections