PT
Posted By
Paul_Takeuchi
Jan 14, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If I am in floating screen mode (F) with my image positioned where I like it on the flat gray background and I make a selection then choose Image/Crop, my image moves on the background about half the width of the image to the right.

An annoying, if minor bug.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Jan 14, 2009
I’m unable to reproduce your issue, Paul.

Details about your setup are needed.
PT
Paul_Takeuchi
Jan 14, 2009
Ramon,
I don’t know the terminology for these workspace states, so I’ll just tell you what I do. First I press F until I leave windowed mode and have a grey background. Then I move my image over with the grabber (spacebar) where I like it, usually to the left. If I marquee a selection, then choose Image/Crop, my image moves to the right on the gray background. After doing this a few more times, it looks like the image moves to the center of the screen after the crop.
Paul
B
Buko
Jan 14, 2009
Why not use the crop tool if you are cropping?
B
Buko
Jan 14, 2009
what you are referring to is full screen mode.
R
Ram
Jan 14, 2009
Paul,

Not knowing what exact version of the OS you are using, on which type of machine, which video card, whether you use a stylus and tablet, and whether you have tried turning off OpenGL, etc., I don’t know if I’m in a position to make any suggestions.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 14, 2009
Doesn’t happen here either.
PT
Paul_Takeuchi
Jan 14, 2009
Ramon, sorry for not being machine and OS specific. PSCS4 Extended, Mac Pro 2.66, OS 10.5.6, Radeon HD 3870 video card, logitech mouse, Open GL on (occurs with Open GL off as well).

Buko, thanks for the full screen mode terminology. I do use the crop tool, but when I just want to trim a pixel row or column, I find it easier to select all, nudge the selection, then use image/crop.

Well, I guess I am alone with this problem. Hmmm… Perhaps I can reboot and see if the problem persists.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 14, 2009
I have the same configuration as you except I have Nvidia GT 8800 card. And I have 16GB Memory.
L
LarryGR
Jan 14, 2009
It happens here just like you say. I move the image off center with the ‘grabber’ , select, arrow down one pixel, then image ‘crop’ and it palces the image back to the center of the screen. Most other operations don’t cause the image to jump. However, canvas size and rotate also cause the jump. It looks to me as if PS is centering the resulting image after the step is applied.

MacPro 3.0, 10.5.6, CS4 non-extended.
PT
Paul_Takeuchi
Jan 14, 2009
Larry,
Well, I’m glad I’m not the only one. I didn’t notice that it happened with canvas size and rotate as well. It seems that it’s a simple programming error. Adobe just has to remember to snap the image back to where it was placed with the grab. It’s not a big problem, but it will change the way I work, since I am often trim-cropping my images this way and dragging the image back where I want it on screen will get pretty old.
Paul
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 14, 2009
Oh I thought you wrote it moved the image half the width of the image to the right?

Recentering is the way the crop tool works and always has.

what would be the purpose of having it keep the position?

BTW it does not matter what screen mode it is in.
PT
Paul_Takeuchi
Jan 14, 2009
Wade,
You are correct–this occurs in CS3 and CS4. I guess I never noticed it before since I was using windowed mode more. Originally I’d said half the image because just by coincidence my image’s proportions made it look like that. It moves it to the center of the screen actually.

Still, it does seem odd to me that if I use the grabber to position my image someplace on the screen for editing, that it should remain there, even after a crop. Try it a few times and you can see how disconcerting it is. Maybe it shouldn’t be called a bug, just an inconvenience, coding that does not take into account the user’s intent.

Paul

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections