R
Posted By
roguelogic
May 7, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am noticing bugs in Photoshop. When I open the first document after starting PS it hangs ranging from 20 secs to 60+ secs. Anyone else having this issue? I have also noticed if I put the palettes in my second monitor when it first starts it hangs. Why so many bugs?

Here are the specs of my computer:
XP Pro Service pack 2
Intel Duo 2.4
4 Gig ram
5 HD, 2 are on Raid 0
Nvidia 684mb 8800 pro

Photoshop and any CS3 product should fly on my machine!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
May 7, 2007
do you have a network printer as your system default? if so change to a local printer. or is ps possibly looking to populate it’s recent file list with something from a network or removable drive that may not be there anymore?
R
roguelogic
May 7, 2007
My printer is connected via USB. I do have 1 network drive but my storage and files I am opening are on one of the HD on the computer…

Why would anything networked cause hanging? Who does not use networking these days?
DM
dave_milbut
May 7, 2007
just a thought. if a resource ps was expecting was not present, ps might wait around until the OS issued a ‘time out’ causing an apparent hang for that period.

have you tried resetting the prefrences per the faq?
R
roguelogic
May 7, 2007
what do the FAQ’s say?
DM
dave_milbut
May 7, 2007
not sure if it will help, but sometimes when things get strange, this procedure cures it…

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.ef4a07f/1>
R
roguelogic
May 7, 2007
Nope, it reset but still taking forever to open first document… I don’t get it… Why does it talk so long to open initial file when first open PS???
DM
dave_milbut
May 7, 2007
try changing your default printer. to anything else local create a dummy printer if you have to…
R
roguelogic
May 7, 2007
So no one else is getting the hanging / hourglass incident when opening their first document? Should i uninstall and reinstall?
DM
dave_milbut
May 8, 2007
So no one else is getting the hanging / hourglass incident when opening their first document?

this guy was.

Bartek Podkowa, "Photoshop freezes on startup" #6, 7 May 2007 2:22 pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/5>

but he CHANGED HIS PRINTER FROM WHATEVER HE HAD IT SET TO AND THAT FIXED THE PROBLEM!
R
roguelogic
May 8, 2007
I just added a bogus HP printer and still taking forever to open first document. Do you think i should uninstall and reinstall?
DM
dave_milbut
May 8, 2007
added and set it as system default?

set it as local (lpt1:)?

if that doesn’t work, and you’re sure you succesfully deleted the prefrences (either deleted the file manually or got the dialog asking if it’s ok to reset photoshop’s prefrences) then i guess that would be a last ditch effort.

still sounds like a network hangup (printer related or otherwise) to me. it sounds like a timeout issue where photoshop is trying to connect to something that it’s not finding.
R
roguelogic
May 8, 2007
Dave, I have tried it all and still hanging. I even uninstalled and reinstalled last night but noticed with the reinstall some of the programs remembered settings. So I am considering upgrading to Vista and rebuilding computer.
T
Tony
May 20, 2007
I’m having the same issues with Photoshop hanging, but it happens to me only when I try to open a PSD that has text fields in it. Also, when I select the text tool in Photoshop it hangs on me also. Every time it is hanging for more than 60 seconds, so I have to Ctr. Alt. Delete and end the process.
JJ
John_Joslin
May 20, 2007
I’ve had this with files over 4 years old that contain text.

PS CS3 had to be closed with the Task Manager, where there were 3 instances (one for each file I had tried to open). It took a good 5 minutes to go away after ending the process.
C
Clyde
May 20, 2007
wrote:
Dave, I have tried it all and still hanging. I even uninstalled and reinstalled last night but noticed with the reinstall some of the programs remembered settings. So I am considering upgrading to Vista and rebuilding computer.

Try this first…

BTW, what do you mean by "hang"? I have a problem with CS3 crashing about 25 seconds after opening. This actually started in CS2, but not when I first started using CS2. It just started up with no explanation. It continued in CS3 Beta and now in CS3.

Some people at Adobe think it’s a problem with fonts. It is suppose to be checking fonts about 30 seconds after opening and doing nothing else. However, I’ve tried a ton of things with fonts and font managers without any success there. I have no cure or good explanation.

However, I DO have a workaround that might work for you: Before it crashes, I zoom in on the open image. This stops whatever is happening and Photoshop runs just fine from then on.

That means I always open Photoshop with a file, but that’s the way I work anyway. It also means that I don’t have time to play around in ACR before that crash, but I just one only file and then do ACR.

I suppose there are other tools beside Zoom that would work too, but I haven’t spent a lot of time trying. I hope it works for you.

Thanks,
Clyde
R
roguelogic
May 21, 2007
If you are having issues with PS hanging with text in a document. Check your fonts. As soon as I cleaned out my fonts and bought Suitcase – much better than ATM PS did not hang any more.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections