CW
Posted By
Colin_Woodbridge
Aug 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I sometimes think I’m digging a hole for myself because the more I play with Photoshop (Elements or CS) the more I find to trip me up.

Todays challenge was to get a better understanding of printer settings. I know I should be using a setting of around 300 pixels/inch for good quality. So I started to look around for where this is set and then discovered that the Document resolution (which I assume is what determines the print setting as well) is being set by the EXIF data….xresolution and yresolution.

So without any changes the print you make seems to be determined by what the Camera vendor decides. For my Kodak Dx4330 (3M Pixels) the default prints are approx 9 x 6 at 230dpi. For my Canon 300D (6M Pixel) the default is approx 17 x 11 at 180dpi.

I can’t understand why Canon think 180 dpi is good but that’s another topic

My question is…how can I get Photoshop to ignore this EXIF setting?

Colin

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
jhjl1
Aug 4, 2004
All you have to do is go to Image>Resize>Image Size. Now change your resolution with resample unchecked.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
I sometimes think I’m digging a hole for myself because the more I
play with Photoshop (Elements or CS) the more I find to trip me up.
Todays challenge was to get a better understanding of printer
settings. I know I should be using a setting of around 300 pixels/inch for good quality. So I started to look around for where this is set and then discovered that the Document resolution (which I assume is what determines the print setting as well) is being set by the EXIF data….xresolution and yresolution.
So without any changes the print you make seems to be determined by
what the Camera vendor decides. For my Kodak Dx4330 (3M Pixels) the default prints are approx 9 x 6 at 230dpi. For my Canon 300D (6M Pixel) the default is approx 17 x 11 at 180dpi.
I can’t understand why Canon think 180 dpi is good but that’s another
topic
My question is…how can I get Photoshop to ignore this EXIF setting?
Colin
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 4, 2004
Colin,
Your 3M pixel image can be any "printable" size you wish by using the Edit > Adjustments > Image size dialogue. You have the ability to spread those 3M pixels as large ( and low resolution ) and as small ( high resolution ) as you choose without affecting the original image, as long as the "resample image" checkbox is UNCHECKED . My general boundaries for printable resolution are 200-360 ppi, and I use 300 ppi as a guideline.
The only way I know to ignore this EXIF info is use Elements 1 and/or Photoshop 6 .

🙂

Brent
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Aug 4, 2004
Thanks Folks….

What you describe is pretty much what I do any way but what got me thinking about this was the process of going straight from opening the image to the print phase. In the print preview box you can change the size of the image to fit the paper but how does it do this? Does it resample the image or not? If it does then the resolution stays unchanged.

Colin
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 4, 2004
I don’t know the resampling algorithm in Print Preview, so I just don’t trust it , personally. I tend to do things "the long way" , because then I know what’s going on at each step. Maybe when everybody wakes up this morning, we’ll hear some more ideas on the subject.

🙂

Brent
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 4, 2004
I’m with Brent; I do things the long way, too, because I like to have control over what’s happening with my pictures.

Out of curiosity, I Googled for "scaling" in Photoshop and found this quote on Wayne Fulton’s site.

"Scaling is like stretching the image on a rubber sheet. The same rubber molecules are still painted the same color, we didn’t change them, but they are farther from their neighbors now. The idea is that we stretch the rubber sheet until we get the pixel spacing optimum for our printer’s dithering capability. The pixels won’t have space between them. Instead, the printed pixels get larger as we space them wider with reduced scaled resolution. A sample of this in the book version too. But so long as our resulting printed image resolution number ends up roughly equal to the printer’s image resolution capability, it still looks fine. <significant pause>"

Hmmm… I don’t think I’d want to resize through Print Preview myself. Scaling does seem to be a different critter from either straight resizing through the Image>Resize>Image Size option or through resampling. It doesn’t sound very good to me, and especially not for increasing the size of an image. I’m having trouble with the visualization for squeezing a rubber sheet. 🙂
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Aug 4, 2004
Uhmmmm…..

This is what Helps say about printing….

‘Scaling an image in the Print Preview dialog box changes the size and resolution of the printed image only’

Note: resolution gets changed…..or does it?

Colin
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Aug 4, 2004
If you use the scaling mode under Image Resize then the resolution stays the same, like Waynes description I guess.

Colin
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 4, 2004
If the same pixels were stretched over a larger canvas, or "put in a smaller canvas, then the resolution ( or pixel density, px/in ), would be changed.
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 4, 2004
but resolution could just mean… X number of pixels by Y number of pixels (density not being a factor here)
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 4, 2004
See how confusing this can be ! ?!? <G>
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Aug 5, 2004
Yup…my head is spinning…sensor size, paper size, screen resolution, ppi, dpi, droplet size….aaagh…:-)

Anyway I did a few tests yesterday. It looks to me that changing the size at the print stage is like changing the image size without re-sampling. That being the case, if you change the image size via the Image > Resize > Image Size without re-sampling and the resolution stays within the 200 – 300 ppi range it’s OK (for me anyway). If it goes outside this range you perhaps need to re-sample.

If your doing this at the print stage you don’t know what the resolution will be.

Colin
MH
Myron_Henrickson
Aug 8, 2004
This maybe what you are looking for:
< http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=4 0&platform=Windows>

Ignore EXIF color space utility works well for me.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections