Posted By
robnjay
Aug 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Gurus:

Is there any way to use PE2 to make a "coloring book" page from a digital photo?

This would obviously be a sort of a black and white outline of the facial features for someone to color in….

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DG
David G House
Aug 12, 2004
In elements.. go to WINDOW>HOW TO>FUN STUFF (its in the drop down at teh top of teh pallet that will open up.. look for "select a recipe" and click that drop down).. then look for CREATE COLORINGBOOK…

Another way…. go FILTRE>STYLIZE>FIND EDGES … then go ENHANCE>ADJUST COLOUR>REMOVE COLOUR

I am sure there are others as well….. but that will do it for you in a pinch

david
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Aug 12, 2004
Also blur>smart blur>edge only (you can adjust how detailed the edges are), then Invert.
DG
David G House
Aug 12, 2004
LOL.. I just looked… my "Otherway" IS.. teh way it tells you in the "How TO".. ok so I saved ya looking it up… 😀

david
B
BobHill
Aug 12, 2004
Robnjay,

It is possible in Elements, but not easily, as you really need the ability to establish a path (full PhotoShop ability) to do this with some facility. But you can use the Magnetic Lasso or manuall Lasso to every increase the items to select and make them white, but make a black border around the selection area. I’d sure want to try this on something very simple first, however. And perhaps even make it into somelike a 8bit color (not RGB) for better definition. This will make the image into something you might see in Paint by Numbers kits. Look at your image: Image, Mode, Indexed, Uniform, No Dither, No transparency, with Preview checked. When you convert the image to 8bit indexed color (256 colors max) it can’t be changed back, so any Save should be to as Save As to another filename. You can make those areas of color selected using Color Wand and change the color to white, then use Pencil to go around the edge before you do another selection and do the same. You’ll end up with a white page with your color areas defined by the pencil mark. This is better than using One bit color (bitmap color) because you’ll have more defined areas of color to choose. If you do the same thing in RGB you’ll find it pretty hard to define due to all the colors(16,777,216)

Bob
BG
Byron Gale
Aug 12, 2004
Robnjay,

If you don’t already suspect, let me confirm that Elements allows you to do things in a multitude of ways, depending on your preferences. That being said… here’s another way of getting a black-and-white coloring book page effect.

Use the Photocopy filter under Filter > Sketch. Adjust the Detail and Darkness sliders to your liking. If the image is a bit "edgy", add a bit of Gaussian Blur (but be sure to view at 100% while doing so) to soften.

Some images look better following the Coloring Book recipe in Elements, and some look better done this way…. IMHO.

Have fun!

Byron
TF
Terri_Foster
Aug 12, 2004
Yet another way to do this is using a Threshold Adjustment Layer. Adjust to taste. Merge the Adjustment layer with photo. To clean it up a bit, apply Gaussian Blur to knock off the sharp edges. This will soften your image a bit. To tighten your image up again, use a Levels Adjustment level. (By the way, if you need to thicken your edges up try using the Minimum Filter in place of the Gaussian Blur. You can use a Levels Adjustment layer over this if the edges "run" too much. Did I mention to always work on a copy! I’m sure there’s probably a half dozen more ways to do this. You’ll find the best method will ultimately depend on the photo.

Terri

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections