SS
Posted By
Stuart_Schaefer
Jan 28, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I had to reinstall Photoshop CS3 on my current MacBook Pro running OS X 10.5.6.

When trying to re-install using the original full version disk I received the following error:

JavaScript Alert Critical errors were found in setup -The installer database is invalid: please re-install the product from the original media. Please see the Setup log file for details.

I even even tried to down load and install the Trail Version of CS4 to see if that could be done. Same error happens.

Any idea what has happened?

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Jan 28, 2009
I had to reinstall Photoshop CS3

Did you by any chance just put the old CS3 folder in the trash? That’s a big no-no. You must use the Adobe Uninstaller installed by default in Applications/Utilities/Adobe/.

If you did not use the uninstaller, search for the CS3Clean script on the Adove web site and run it according to the instructions.
SS
Stuart_Schaefer
Jan 28, 2009
Ramon,

Thanks for the input. However I tried that already with the same results. Have no problem with Lightroom 2.2 just Photoshop CS3.
Sent Adobe a message with this problem via their support section, however they just closed the case and more or less stated my time has expired. So now I am at a stand still with CS3.

My next option is just do a complete re-install of Leopard as I do have everything backed up via Time Machine.

In the mean time I found a program called Pixelmator that works just fine until I am able find a solution for this problem.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 28, 2009
You almost certainly will need to run the Adobe Clean-up script — but do read the instructions VERY carefully.
HG
Horia_Georgescu
Feb 3, 2009
I couldn’t uninstall Photoshop CS with Vista 64’s uninstaller, so I used <revo uninstaller. Running wincs3clean is impossible, because python23.dll is missing (I don’t know if it has to be on Vista 64) When I try to reinstall Photoshop CS3, I get the messages: -undefined -the installer database is invalid. If I try to install ¨Photoshop CS4:"Setup encountered an error and cannot continue". So:what can be done (except reinstalling Vista…)?
SS
Stuart_Schaefer
Feb 3, 2009
Ann,

It took a number of tries using the Adobe Clean-up script but it finally worked. I was then able to re-install. Thanks for your input.

Horia — I had so many problems with Vista I gave up last year and switched to Mac. Except for this one problem I have not had any real problems since switching.
R
Ram
Feb 3, 2009
Horia,

This is the Adobe Photoshop Macintosh forum. The windoze forum is across the hall.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections