RH
Posted By
robert_held
Aug 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
tried to make a drawing using the pencil tool – it went ok. When tried to use the eraser tool to correct and erase certain parts, I noted that each line had its separate layer. These layers were not white background, even though the page was all white. It made identifying every line impossible, no erasing parts was thus possible. Is there a way to insure that all lines of a drawing (a dozen or so total) be on the same layer, therefore erasure and corrections be done easier? Thanks Robert Held

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

GD
Grant_Dixon
Aug 16, 2004
Robert

Got to the main menu and select > Layers > Flatten Image and all layers will be on the Backgroung.

What I would like to know is how did you get all the lines on separate layers, as that is are really neat trick?

Grant
PA
Patti Anderson
Aug 16, 2004
Are you sure you are using the Pencil tool? It sounds very much like you are using the Line tool under the Custom Shapes tools. This is a vector line (i.e. a closed shape that looks like a line) and will appear on the layers palette with the gray background to indicate this. Each time you start and stop when drawing with this tool it will add a new layer as if you were drawing a new shape.

If you want to draw with the Line-Shape tool and want to keep everything on one layer…after you draw the first line, look up on the options toolbar choose the option to "Add to Shape Area."

If you want your lines layer to appear as other layers, right click on that layer on the layers palette and choose Simplify layer.

I may be reading between the lines (pun) wrong, if so, ignore this post.

Patti
RH
robert_held
Aug 16, 2004
Grant and Patti Hello,

Thanks for the ‘life saver’ – of course it was my inattention to mistake the line tool (part of the shapes quartet icons) for a pencil…and the rest is history. (in my younger days I saw a sign in the machine room of a large office bldg:"If all else fails, read the instructions"… it is time for me to hang this sign on the monitor.) I will try the ‘layer>flatten’ command as well, I never quite understood the purpose of it before, but I never needed it because until now I worked with "ready" items 9photos, painting reporductions etc.) with assist from the
"T" type and font material. (In the process learning an awful lot from your and others kind assitance when i ran aground.)
Thanks again.
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Aug 16, 2004
Robert,
Another way to create a straight line is with the paint brush tool, holding down the shift key as you paint the line. If you need to position it precisely, open the grid (View>show grid.)
Ken
RH
robert_held
Aug 16, 2004
Ken, thanks – your help message is just in time since I was unable to draw truly straight lines with the mouse alone. Now I see ‘new horizons’ opening with the aid of the ‘shift’. Yours Robert H.
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Aug 16, 2004
Robert,
Glad that this works for you.
Ken

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections