PS
Posted By
Peter_Stasiowski
Aug 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
New user of PSE2. Tried my first photomerge of two 2MB JPG photo files. Ended up with a panoramic photo file of 50MB!!. Even with flattening, the file was only reduced by half to 20MB+. Seems a bit excessive. What am I doing wrong? ( Using Windows XP, 3 ghtz, 1Gig memory,200Gig drive).

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

GD
Grant_Dixon
Aug 16, 2004
Peter

Fist the JPG size is meaningless when you are working in Elements or any other graphic program worth its salt. When you import 2 MB JPG files into Elements it doesn’t see them as JPG they are expand to, in you case, probably 10 MB. When two are combined and flattened it becomes 20 meg. Now saving them again into JPG with the same settings as they were created and you will end up with one files close to 4 MB give or take a MB. Of course it is not wise to save images you have worked on in JPG.

Grant
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 16, 2004
In addition to Grants’ comments, it’s possible that the panorama was saved as a PSD file, which would be about that much larger than the original JPG’s. The panorama wasn’t a jpg or it wouldn’t have had layers to be flattened.

🙂

Brent
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 16, 2004
Brent,

I think that you maybe on the right track. I just tried a photomerge and the last action it does is flatten the image BUT if you then save the image it saves as a layered psd (even though there is only the one layer) and mine turned out at 112mb.

Wendy
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 16, 2004
Mixed file formats can really contribute to "file size" confusion.

🙂

Brent
RP
Robert_Pelkie
Aug 24, 2004
I am using an iMac with OS X and PhotoElements 2. A couple of weeks ago I tried my first Photomerge and could not believe how easy it was. Yesterday I could not get beyond the first step.
When I got to "Add" nothing happened, when I click on "Open" I get the Desktop but none of the folders in the desktop have anything in them.
I tried dragging two photos from the desktop and they will not be accecpted by the open box. Any suggestions!
Bob P.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 24, 2004
Bob,

Open up Elements then open the two (or more) images you want to merge. When you get to the Add box they should then already be open and you will be able to click on them. If not then maybe its time to delete the prefs file:

To do that close down Elements then click on the start up icon and quickly hold down the Apple, Alt and Shift keys. Continue to hold down all three keys until you get a screen asking if you want to delete Settings … just say Yes.

Wendy

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections