VI
Posted By
vicki_irvine
Jan 31, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have had to reinstall the system on my MacPro. Reinstalled from the disc and then updated to 10.5.6 using the combo updater and everything seems to be working again.

I understand when you do a system reinstall that it doesn’t touch any 3rd party applications.

I opened Photoshop and discovered that no matter what I type (font or size), it is pixilated and all jagged.

The other Adobe programs I have don’t have this problem.

What am I missing to cause this problem? Any ideas?

Vicki

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 31, 2009
That sounds as if you are using a Type 1 PostScript font of which you have only the Screen font and which has lost its Outline font.

How are you managing your fonts? Try using some different fonts and see if they are all right.
VI
vicki_irvine
Jan 31, 2009
Thank you for your quick response.

I don’t manage my fonts 🙂

I don’t think I have any postscript fonts installed.

Which direction do I need to go?

Thanks,
Vicki
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 31, 2009
Vicki,

A good font manager (such as FontAgent Pro) can quickly tell you if a font is corrupted, missing some component, or is installed more than once. All of these factors can lead to a coarse, pixelated appearance.

In addition, if you have more than a handful to two of fonts (and many of us do), it allows you to just activate those fonts you need for the day’s work, shorten your font menus and keep your system and apps from getting bogged down. It also allows you to organize your fonts and see convenient, meaningful displays of your fonts so you can make better decisions about using them for a job.

Neil
GB
g_ballard
Jan 31, 2009
I would start by trying a New User (on the theory only Ps is hosing that font). <http://www.gballard.net/macrant/osx_troubleshooting.html>

If the problem clears here, go back to you normal account and delete your Ps user preferences.

Also Font Agent Pro has a free demo you can download and check your fonts. <http://www.insidersoftware.com/FA_pro4_details.php>

Also check out Insider Software SMASHER
<http://www.insidersoftware.com/SM.php>
Smasher
Flatten Mac OS X font problems fast
Smasher™ gives you the power to look deep inside your fonts and suitcases to solve problems fast. Using Smasher, you can:

Stop garbled text display
Prevent output problems
Clear pesky font caches
Verify font outlines
Perform suitcase surgery
Check font properties and permissions
VI
vicki_irvine
Feb 1, 2009
Thanks Neil and G,

I have downloaded Font Agent Pro and will check everything out.

I am going to share your link to your troubleshooting pages to a user group I belong to in Melbourne, Australia. Well written and very easy to understand.

Vicki

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections