V
Posted By
v6v6v6
Feb 26, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I came across this issue while trying to troubleshoot the zoom/text editing issue in my other thread…

Sometimes when I click in the zoom field on the Application Bar, it looks like it’s enabled but I’m not able to edit it. I’ve been able to reproduce this fairly consistently by selecting some text, pressing command-enter to exit the text layer, and then clicking on the zoom field. When I start to type in a value for the zoom ratio, it’ll change the opacity of the text layer instead.

Vid of zoom field (In this example, it works fine the 1st time through, but notice the opacity change the 2nd and 3rd times.)
< http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/darthsauce/mac/?actio n=view&current=zoom.flv>

BTW, this seems to happen whether OpenGL is turned on or off.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Feb 26, 2009
selecting some text, pressing command-enter

Why are you pressing Command?
V
v6v6v6
Feb 26, 2009
Why are you pressing Command?

To exit the edit text mode.
R
Ram
Feb 26, 2009
The Enter key alone does it for me, without Command. That’s why I was asking.
V
v6v6v6
Feb 26, 2009
My apologies, I refer to this key as "Enter" because of my old PC habits. Command-return.

This one!
< http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/darthsauce/mac/return _enter.gif>
FM
Fred M Stevens
Feb 27, 2009
v6, I think Ramón means that you don’t need to hold Command when you press Return (or "Enter" if you’d prefer to call it that) in order to commit the value. just press Return. However, if you press the Return key on the main part of the keyboard, you do have to press CMD with it. You can press Return on the number pad (if you have one) and that’s easier/quicker than having to also hold CMD.

with that said, it looks like you’re not clicking in the Zoom field before entering values. when you mouse over the field, the cursor changes and it looks like you can type in it, but you can’t until you actually click. pressing the numbers just enacts the keyboard shortcut to change the opacity of the highlighted layer.
V
v6v6v6
Feb 27, 2009
v6, I think Ramón means that you don’t need to hold Command when you press Return (or "Enter" if you’d prefer to call it that) in order to commit the value. just press Return. However, if you press the Return key on the main part of the keyboard, you do have to press CMD with it. You can press Return on the number pad (if you have one) and that’s easier/quicker than having to also hold CMD.

Hey Fred, I’m not sure I understand–it doesn’t seem to work for me. When I press Return, it just does a carriage return (and always has for all my years of using Photoshop). Just to clarify, here are the methods I’ve used to commit text when it comes to the keyboard:

1) Command-Return (Command-Enter on PC)

2) Enter on numeric keypad

< http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/darthsauce/mac/commit _text.gif>

with that said, it looks like you’re not clicking in the Zoom field before entering values. when you mouse over the field, the cursor changes and it looks like you can type in it, but you can’t until you actually click. pressing the numbers just enacts the keyboard shortcut to change the opacity of the highlighted layer.

Yeah, I realize it’s hard to tell from the video, but I’m definitely clicking (notice the 1st time through the field becomes active, and the 2nd and 3rd times the value inside the field is selected, but not active).
R
Ram
Feb 27, 2009
I never mentioned the Return key. I said Enter. I have a bunch of Mac keyboards, and the Return key does not have an alternative "Enter" label.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1IGWFmFmCoUTnhO3Bd fYQOxhUNLKjZ1>
V
v6v6v6
Feb 27, 2009
I never mentioned the Return key. I said Enter. I have a bunch of Mac keyboards, and the Return key does not have an alternative "Enter" label.
[EDIT: Nor does the image posted in the post immediately above this one.]

Ok, I think the problem is that we’re talking about 2 different things. I thought it was clear when I wrote "My apologies, I refer to this key as "Enter" because of my old PC habits. Command-return." and then I presented an image of a notebook keyboard. Here it is again:

< http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/darthsauce/mac/return _enter.gif>

So hopefully this clarify things. Now how about the original topic?
NT
Nini Tj
Feb 27, 2009
Thing is, with newer Macs the return key is the only enter key there is nowadays unless you have a full-size external keyboard with a numeric part. The "real" enter-key is no more on portables.
R
Ram
Feb 27, 2009
Portables, shmortables; laptops, shmaptops. We’re talking real Macs here. 😀
V
v6v6v6
Feb 27, 2009
Portables, shmortables; laptops, shmaptops. We’re talking real Macs here.

[EDIT: Really, if I’d known we were discussing MacBooks, I wouldn’t even had read the thread.]

Even if it applied to both desktops and notebooks? I didn’t realize there was a pecking order amongst Mac owners. So how about the original topic which you so graciously thought to take way off-topic… Certianly you have an opinion on it?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 27, 2009
v6:

Look in your Tool Bar and see which tool is active before typing in a zoom factor.

Actually, I never do that.

I just use Cmd Spacebar; or Cmd Option Spacebar; or Cmd+; or Cmd -; or Cmd Zero; or Cmd Option Zero or the the new OpenGL zooming — all of which work regardless of which Tool you are using.
V
v6v6v6
Feb 27, 2009
I just use Cmd Spacebar; or Cmd Option Spacebar; or Cmd+; or Cmd -; or Cmd Zero; or Cmd Option Zero or the the new OpenGL zooming — all of which work regardless of which Tool you are using.

Ann, the first 2 examples trigger the Mac’s search on my computer, but, yes, I make use of the other shortcuts. Thanks.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 27, 2009
the first 2 examples trigger the Mac’s search on my computer,

You can change that, if you wish, in System Prefs./Keyboard & Mouse/Keyboard Shortcuts/
R
Ram
Feb 28, 2009
V6…,

There’s no "pecking" order. I just don’t have much to contribute when it comes to Mac laptops. I detest them, as I do any other laptops, so I don’t have much experience with them.

On my desktop I just press the Z key to get the zoom tool.

Once you have the Zoom Tool selected try pressing and holding it on your image (don’t let go of the mouse, and watch it zoom in gradually and dynamically to any level you want. Pressing the Option key lets you zoom in in the same fashion.
V
v6v6v6
Feb 28, 2009
You can change that, if you wish, in System Prefs./Keyboard & Mouse/Keyboard Shortcuts/

Thanks Ann, I may refer to this in the future.

There’s no "pecking" order. I just don’t have much to contribute when it comes to Mac laptops. I detest them, as I do any other laptops, so I don’t have much experience with them.

"Detest" is a strong expression. What’s with the extreme displeasure with notebooks?

My experience is slightly different as I activate zoom with the Z key.

Once you have the Zoom Tool selected try pressing and holding it on your image (don’t let go of the mouse, and watch it zoom in gradually and dynamically to any level you want. Pressing the Option key lets you zoom in in the same fashion.

That’s a cool little feature. It’s a little slow for my tastes, but still pretty nice as eye candy. Do you rely on this method for your zooming tasks?

And are you able to reproduce the issue in the original topic on your desktop?
R
Ram
Feb 28, 2009
"Detest" is a strong expression.

Ok, hate, then.

What’s with the extreme displeasure with notebooks?

* miserable screens (no exceptions)
* trackpad
* battery
* cramped space triggers claustrophobia

are you able to reproduce the issue in the original topic on your desktop?

No, but then I didn’t spend much time trying, and you said it happens "some times".

My experience is slightly different as I activate zoom with the Z key.

Not quite following you there.

It’s a little slow for my tastes, but still pretty nice as eye candy

Probably your video card (or your laptop).

Do you rely on this method for your zooming tasks?

Sometimes I do, now that all zooming levels display properly with OpenGL. Otherwise you’re bound by the default zooming steps.
V
v6v6v6
Feb 28, 2009
Not quite following you there.

Yeah, never mind me… I just found it funny that you specified this was on your desktop. Made it sound like notebook users had a different key to access zoom or something. 🙂

Probably your video card (or your laptop).

Check out this vid and tell me how it compares to the performance on your desktop speed-wise. I start out at 1% zoom and let it max out.

< http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/darthsauce/mac/?actio n=view&current=zoom_hold.flv>
R
Ram
Feb 28, 2009
I just found it funny that you specified this was on your desktop.

Just specifying what machine I happened to have tested it on. ;D

Check out this vid and tell me how it compares to the performance on your desktop speed-wise.

Speed-wise it’s fine, but the video is a little choppy. If it zoomed at any greater speed, you wouldn’t know when to stop. 🙂 It’s not mean for huge leaps anyhow.
V
v6v6v6
Mar 1, 2009
Speed-wise it’s fine, but the video is a little choppy. If it zoomed at any greater speed, you wouldn’t know when to stop. It’s not mean for huge leaps anyhow.

Ok, good to know the zoom performance is comparable with a desktop. The choppiness in the vid is probably due to it being compressed and converted a couple times in order to post it up. It’s smooth as butter on my notebook.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections