A
Posted By
A._Tz.
Feb 26, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to know if it’s possible to select a layer from the layer palette start dragging it and move it to another open document while in tabbed view. It is possible when each document is in a separate window.

I am on OS X 10.4.11 with CS 4 11.0.1

Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Feb 26, 2009
Did you actually give it a try?
A
A._Tz.
Feb 26, 2009
Of course I did. It drives me nuts every day.
R
Ram
Feb 26, 2009
Did you move the layer (with the Move Tool) on top of the tab of the target document?
R
Ram
Feb 26, 2009
EDITED the previous message:

In any event: You can temporarily drag any of the tabs to tear it off and have a floating window. You can then drag the layer from another file, then Consolidate All to Tabs (Window > Arrange >) the window back to the tabbed arrangement.
P
PShock
Feb 26, 2009
I want to know if it’s possible to select a layer from the layer palette start dragging it and move it to another open document while in tabbed view.

Yes, it’s possible … in a slow, sticky kind of way. You have to drag the layer and hold over the targeted tab for a few seconds – that document will eventually come into view and allow the drop.

It’s a bit frustrating but it’s certainly more efficient and faster than tearing off tabs and re-docking.

-phil
PZ
Ping Zheng
Feb 26, 2009
Yes, it’s possible … in a slow, sticky kind of way. You have to drag the layer and hold over the targeted tab for a few seconds – that document will eventually come into view and allow the drop.

Nod, use move tool to drag the the layer you want to move directly, do not drag the layer icon
P
PShock
Feb 26, 2009
My bad …

I could’ve sworn I’ve done this from the layer pallet before – but you’re right, only seems to work by dragging layers from the image area. (which is dumb)

In that case, if you absolutely need to do this via layer icons, I think the most efficient solution would be to use the image tile feature. Dragging from the layers pallet DOES work with that method. 🙂

-phil
A
A._Tz.
Feb 26, 2009
It is very slow to tile the images. Hopefully Adobe will fix it.. this is a real slowdown

Thanks
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 26, 2009
It shouldn’t be slow.

I don’t know how many Tabs you have in use, but going to the Arrange button in the Applications Bar; and choosing the number of tiles and the arrangement that you want (by double-clicking on the one of the selections in the drop-down menu): should be instantaneous.

This seems to work most efficiently if you use the Application Frame.
A
A._Tz.
Feb 26, 2009
By slow I mean it is an extra step. A step I don’t want to do because, it should of been implemented in first place – the same way it is in Illustrator CS4.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 26, 2009
Then work in un-tabbed mode.
A
A._Tz.
Feb 26, 2009
When it is necessary I work in un-tabbed mode. But the tabs are more convenient in 90% of the times.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 26, 2009
I agree with you and that’s why I find the "n-up" Arrangement button so useful.

It really does work instantaneously here — literally in a blink of the eye.
B
Buko
Feb 26, 2009
You can also select all the layers you want to copy and in the layers panel flyout choose dup layers and then target the the doc you want them in in the pull down.
FM
Fred M Stevens
Feb 27, 2009
buko… that’s a nifty trick. I usually just drag one layer (or a group of layers) onto the New Layer button in the Layers panel for duplication, since that was the quickest way I could find.

I’ve now made a keyboard shortcut of the Layers > Duplicate Layers command (same as what’s in the Layers panel flyout menu) for duplicating layers in general, since it has that added advantage of being able to quickly transfer those duped layers to a new document that’s in a hidden tab.

I guess you can learn some way to make your workflow more efficient every day
R
Ram
Feb 27, 2009
Ping,

I never, ever used tabbed mode, so it doesn’t bother me really. However, I do think that it should work by dragging the layer from the Layer Panels too. I suppose a Feature Request is in order. :/
R
Ram
Feb 27, 2009
Buko’s solution is excellent:

select all the layers you want to copy and, in the layers panel flyout, choose dup layers and then target the the doc you want them in in the pull down.
A
A._Tz.
Feb 27, 2009
Thanks Buko, excellent comment.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Feb 27, 2009
Great feature no need to drag and if you do not have to go to that document at the time of you layer export then you can continue to work in the current document without refocusing.

Interesting feature and another argument as to why this is more efficient then a lot of open windows floating all around the place.

I guess some users are missing out on a lot of advantages with this mind set about the old ways.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections