colors change from ACR to PS – how to avoid.

PP
Posted By
paul_p_osgood
Mar 4, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After making changes in ACR(5.0.0.178), I open image as a smart obj in CS4. On one particular image the colors are consistently different. Details: images are tango drum scans (8-bit 200MB Tiff in Ektaspace). I have tried different color spaces (in ACR WorkFlow options) and different PS spaces and rendering intents but they produce the same inconsistent results. Here are combinations I’ve tried:
In ACR: aRGB and in PS: aRGB/Perceptual as well as aRGB/Rel-Colormetric. In ACR: ProPhoto and in PS: ProPhoto/Perceptual as well as ProPhoto/Rel-Colormetric. In each of these 4 cases, after changing the PS color settings I close PS. I then opened the image (from Bridge) in ACR. I then set the WorkFlow color space and open in PS as a smart object. I then re-opened the image in ACR so that I can view it side-by-side with the image that is now in PS.

Prior to my recently getting CS4, I did not work in ACR and did all adjustments in PS and while this may have been happening I would not have noticed it. I really like the ACR adjustments except that I’m not maintaining consistent colors when I move to PS to do adjustments with layers.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Mar 4, 2009
Paul,

You’re using a totally inadequate and thoroughly obsolete version of ACR. You should update the ACR plug-in to ACR 5.3.

I suspect you haven’t updated CS4 to Photoshop 11.0.1 either.

Run both updates and come back then if you still have issues.

Please understand that you won’t have anywhere the latitude and flexibility that one has with RAW files from a digital camera when you run TIFFs or JPEGs through Adobe Camera Raw.
R
Ram
Mar 4, 2009
Also, here are links to the ACR forum and the Bridge forum:

Adobe Bridge Macintosh forum [CLICK HERE] <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bba3d51>

Adobe Camera Raw Forum [CLICK HERE] <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@@.3bb6a869>

You may want to read existing threads and the FAQs there.
PP
paul_p_osgood
Mar 4, 2009
Thanks Ramon. I’ll check it out with the newer releases.
PP
paul_p_osgood
Mar 6, 2009
Follow up by original poster: I’ve installed ACR 5.3 and PS 11.0.1 as Ramond suggested, but the issue still exists. I now have a small Tif file (which shows a small section with the offending color) with a profile of ProPhoto. When I open it in PS and also open it in ACR the greens are a different hue – the view in ACR is a bit warmer and a bit less saturated. I had originally made adjustments in ACR and would like not to have to readjust in PS to bring it back to the way it was when I left ACR. Help is appreciated….Thanks!
GB
g_ballard
Mar 6, 2009
I don’t understand you last post but

I open a RAW file in Adobe Camera Raw ACR, adjust it, then hit Open File in ACR, then it opens in Photoshop the same as it was in ACR

if this is not happening there…then something else is going on
PP
paul_p_osgood
Mar 7, 2009
I open a Tiff file (from a scan) in ACR, adjust it, then hit Open in Photoshop as a smart object. The colors have changed just a little. To verify that the colors are different, I then open the same Tiff file in ACR so that I can see it side-by-side with the Photoshop file. Some of the colors (in this case greens) are slightly different. I wish I could attach the file so that others could use my file.
R
Ram
Mar 7, 2009
Paul,

What color settings do you have set in Photoshop? If it is "Monitor Color" then that is your problem.

Also, what are your workflow options in Camera Raw? You access those options through the blue underlined links right under the Camera Raw preview.

Another thing to watch out for: make certain that "Desaturate Monitor Colors by…" is NOT checked in the Advanced Color Settings box.

One more factor: Try turning OFF OpenGL. It has helped others in the same situation.

Are you running more than one monitor? Here is an answer from Adobe on this issue:

"Yes, this is one of the possible known issues
with more than one monitor and OpenGL. We are working to integrate multiple monitors with OpenGL to avoid these kinds of issues, but you will likely not see any improvements until the next version of Photoshop."

If none of the above helps, I suggest visiting the ACR forum.

Adobe Bridge Macintosh forum [CLICK HERE] <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bba3d51>

Adobe Camera Raw Forum [CLICK HERE] <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@@.3bb6a869>
PP
paul_p_osgood
Mar 7, 2009
Thanks Ramon! The problem is now resolved. I unchecked OpenGL and all is well.

For the record: I have 2 monitors: MacBook (for tools) and a Cinema display (for images). For 8-bit scanned images I had Workflow aRGB and in CS4 I had aRGB. For 16-bit scans I had Workflow of ProPhoto and in CS4 I had ProPhoto. "Desaturate Monitor Colors" was not checked.

Thanks – It’s a relief to have this resolved….Paul

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections