K
Posted By
kmm62
Aug 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use photoshop elements and I see that layers is an option. I have scanned old yellowed newspapers. Would it be possible to use this layers function to change the yellowed paper to white – as the background, keeping the print safe and then merging the two?

I have a DELL windowsXP – about 2 years old and lots of memory and space.

an example is at
< http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~kmiller/miller/thre ats.jpg>

Thank you

Karen Miller

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JF
Jodi_Frye
Aug 23, 2004
Karen, since it’s only newspaper the easiest way to do this would be to ‘desaturate’ the color from the newspaper. There are plenty of ways but I’ll give ya one…go to toolbar ‘enhance’>color>remove color. Then, to brighten the paper back up to white use the ‘brightness/contrast’ adjustment layer(layer>new adjustment layer)and raise the contrast. Then to darken the text back up (if you want) use the ‘levels’ adjustment layer same location)…move center slider to the right.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Aug 23, 2004
oh ya, and then ‘yes’ you can merge the image you want to it/over it.
TF
Terri_Foster
Aug 23, 2004
The magnetic lasso will work very well to remove the border outside the clipping. For the clipping itself, one very simple way is to create a Levels adjustment layer over your clipping. You’ll see three eyedroppers on the lower right hand side of the dialog box. Pick the set white point dropper…the white one. Click the eye dropper right over the dark spot over the B in the signature under the article…since this seems to be the darkest smudge. This will take out all but a few stray specks. This will also lighten your letters. Just move the black arrow on the scale directly below the graph in the Levels dialog box darken the words back up. As far as merging, I think that’s actually optional since your printer does a temp merge to print anyway. Remember if you need to keep an original to work on a copy.

Terri
R
RSD99
Aug 23, 2004
Why not just convert to Grayscale?

"Karen M. Miller" wrote in message
I use photoshop elements and I see that layers is an option. I have scanned old yellowed
newspapers. Would it be possible to use this layers function to change the yellowed paper to white – as the background, keeping the print safe and then merging the two?
I have a DELL windowsXP – about 2 years old and lots of memory and space.
an example is at
< http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~kmiller/miller/thre ats.jpg>
Thank you

Karen Miller
K
kmm62
Aug 23, 2004
Thank you to you both!
Karen

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections