PK
Posted By
Philip_Kruzinski
Aug 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In using Photoshop Elements 2.0 with XP, with 512MB of RAM, after doing a photomerge (the photoshop elements file size is about 800MB)I tried saving the resulting photomerge in JPEG format but received the error message "Cannot save file …. due to Program Error." When I save the same photomerge in PDF format it is able to do it (the resulting file size is about 450MB). What is the error message indicating when doing the file save as JEPEG?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

LG
Lorace_Graham
Aug 25, 2004
Philip, I don’t have an answer to this one except that seems like a terrificly large file. (800 mb)

Have you tried the "Save to Web" feature with this one? This saves it in .JPG format and you can see how large it is and change the percentage on the size issue.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help, but know that someone here will have an answer.

Lorace
R
RSD99
Aug 25, 2004
"Lorace_Graham" posted:
"…
Have you tried the "Save to Web" feature with this one? …."

I tried "Save to Web" with a much smaller file … about 50 MB … and PSE told me (essentially) ‘you can’t do that … the file is too big!’

wrote in message
Philip, I don’t have an answer to this one except that seems like a terrificly large
file. (800 mb)
Have you tried the "Save to Web" feature with this one? This saves it in .JPG format and
you can see how large it is and change the percentage on the size issue.
Sorry I couldn’t be more help, but know that someone here will have an answer.
Lorace
B
BobHill
Aug 25, 2004
Philip,

That’s a huge file. What in the world would cause you to make an image that large? Are you tile printing? I just made an image which is 868.5mb and at 300ppi it’s 47.43" x 71.11" or 9.486" x 14.222" of the same image gives a ppi of 1500 which is far in excess of the very best printer’s abilities. Also remember that a compressed file is for storage only. When you open a compressed file (in any program) it explodes to it’s full image RGB byte size. Even power systems will cough when working with that size and printer buffers and spooler caches will also be really taxed. It took about 8 minutes (I didn’t time it) just to size this above image on my system. 300ppi (some say 360ppi) is the max image resolution you’d ever need to produce the very best printed image (even on the best commercial printer using CMYK in PhotoShop). It took 18 minutes (I did time that), but that file DID save as a JPEG (set to 5 compression ratio) and ended up being 5.05mb compressed. Remember that explodes back to 828.5mb when opened, however.

Also since JPEG is a lossy color format, the large image is definietly going to show color loss to the naked eye unless you are looking at the image from some distance away (tile printed).

In any case your problem isn’t due to either JPEG or Elements. I suspect you may need to Defrag your system (if a PC) or you have some other memory problem. I only have 384mb of RD RAM which is about the same as 512mb of DDR RAM, but I do have a huge (Freshly Defragged) cache area.

Bob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections