MH
Posted By
Mark_Hunzaker
Aug 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This situation started suddenly and I am not sure what the cause was. I am using a marquee to cut a hole in a color fill to frame a picture behind it. The hole in the color fill retains some of the original color and casts, for example, a green hue to the underlying layers.

When I open Photoshop files generated before this started happening, this does not occur. But if I generate a new cut in the old color fill, it starts leaving the residual color problem. Even if I cut over a previous hole, the shape of the marquee cut has the color bleed through where it previously did not.

Any ideas?

Mark

Photoshop Elements 2.0 Windows XP SP1

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NS
Nancy_S
Aug 25, 2004
Mark,

Sounds like you may have feathering set for the selection tool.
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 25, 2004
Check above the work area after selecting the marquee tool to make sure feathering is set to 0 pixels. You might of course want a small feather value, like 2-3 pixels, if you wished to soften the edges of the "hole". I suspect the tool is set to a large feather.
MH
Mark_Hunzaker
Aug 26, 2004
At least I covered the basics…

Feathering is at zero. I tried increasing it to 5 which had the desired softening affect, but did not alleviate the underlying problem.

There is no adjustment layer (I am reproducing it with a white layer behind a green layer with a hole in it and the white when behind "hole" is a greenish bluish tone. It is white when the layer is positioned in front of the green layer.

Group with previous did not resolve anything.

Could I possibly email you the PSD to see if it is a problem for you?

Also, what is the official name for the "hole" and yes, it does behave like there is an adjustment layer added everywhere I carve something out with a marquee. Just that there is not an adjustment layer there.

Thanks,

Mark
BG
Byron Gale
Aug 26, 2004
Mark,

Open the Info palette, and watch the color values as you hover your cursor over the mis-tinted area to see if it is truly colored, or if it is a display problem.

Byron
MH
Mark_Hunzaker
Aug 26, 2004
Thanks for the suggestion, however, I can re-create it in a way that demonstrates the bleed through and the correct color on the same screen. You can clearly see the edge of the marquee cut on the underlying layers. Inside the cut has the bleed through, outside the cut is normal.

So I take it this one is a weird one?

Thanks!

Mark
MH
Mark_Hunzaker
Aug 26, 2004
Byron,

To answer your question, the INFO window confirms the color in the cut out area is not the underlying color.

I generated a new canvas with a white background. I then generated a green color fill over part of the canvas (green square in a white background). I then cut a hole in the green color fill and the resulting color inside the hold was blue-green.

The funny thing is that I can move off the green into the white area and when I cut a hole there, it shows up blue-green as well.

The info window shows 0,0,0 over the white canvas, ff,ff,ff over the green color fill, and 46,46,46 (hex) in the blue-green cutouts. I also cut a hole in the back ground (leaving a black square) and then cut another hole on top of it from the green color fill. It lightened the black square slightly in the shape of the cut out.

Really weird. It acts like acts like an adjustment layer, but there is not one there.
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 26, 2004
Mark,

Why not just try again…click on the eye for the green layer to make it invisible. Create a new blank layer on top of stack. Use something like select>all to get marching ants around perimeter. With the the Subtractive option in effect for the selection tool, make your shape for the "hole". You want selection line around the "frame". Now, choose your green color and have it showing in the foreground color box at bottom of Tool Box. Press on Alt/backspace to fill the frame with your green. What’s up now?
MH
Mark_Hunzaker
Aug 26, 2004
Nancy,

That works. Kinda round about way, but it works!

Thanks!

Mark
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 26, 2004
Mark,

Very good…success is always a good feeling after your long journey. By the way, how did you make that green layer (you know, the way you are not going to do it anymore)??
MH
Mark_Hunzaker
Aug 26, 2004
I made the "bad" green layer by "Layer/New Fill Layer/Color" (actually, it also causes problems with Gradients as well). I had CS downloaded for a while and it did not behave this way. It’s been over a month, but downloading the trial of CS was roughly when this started. Since my original color fills were working, I did not notice it until I started generated new artwork as opposed to cloning existing artwork. I uninstalled CS when the trial ended, but the problem did not go away. I will try clearing everything off the machine and reinstalling Edition 2.0 later today to see if it clears up the problem.

Until then…

Mark
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 26, 2004
Mark,

I have never used the "Color Fill" layer, only the alt/backspace thingy. Curious myself as to the attributes, I will experiment with my copy of PSE.

edit–Version 1 PSE
BG
Byron Gale
Aug 27, 2004
Mark,

I *may* have found a clue…

When you select part of your Color Fill layer, and then Cut or delete the selection, the action takes place on the Layer Mask.

The white of the Layer Mask is replaced with the BACKGROUND COLOR, not black.

So, if your Background color chip is not pure black, you will get a dark shade of gray on the layer mask, which will render a pale shade of your Fill color…

With the Info palette visible, hover your cursor over your background color chip — if the RGB reading is not 0,0,0 then that’s the cause of the w

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections