Posted By
jason_weiner
Aug 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Dear Forum,
I have been using Elements with an old CRT. Can I switch to an LCD monitor and still have accurate monitor calibration and color management? Also, does anyone recommend using Colorvision’s ColorPlus, a low end calibrator?
Thanks in advance.
jason

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BB
brent_bertram
Aug 26, 2004
Jason,
Yes, you can switch , BUT , the devil is in the details. If you can afford a Formac display , or an Apple Cinema display ( or any other fine quality LCD display ), then certainly , you can switch. If you’re shopping in the middle price range or low end, then it’s a question mark how satisfied you’ll be.
If it’s possible, find a local place where you can return the display in a reasonable time period if it doesn’t do the job for you. That’s the only way I’d buy any LCD display that I can afford <G> . I’m not personally familiar with the ColorVision ColorPlus, but if it does hardware calibration and profiling of LCD’s it’ll probably be just fine. After all, a lot of pro’s just use the Adobe Gamma utility for their CRT, so "pretty close" is really good enough.

🙂

Brent
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 26, 2004
Jason,
You might find this link interesting , <http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=009HfL> .

I stole it from the Color Management forum.

🙂
Brent
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Aug 26, 2004
Hi, Brent. Here’s a review of the colorvision plus:

<http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,117074,00.asp>
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 26, 2004
Jason,

Actually, Dell makes a very nice line of LCD monitors that are quite sensibly priced. Worth checking out.

I have a Dell FP1700 17" LCD monitor that has beautiful, well-balanced color. It also rotates 90 degrees so you can put it in portrait mode, has built-in USB ports and a nice wide viewing angle, plus it takes either analog or digital cables (includes both). The first time I calibrated it with Spyder PhotoCAL it required very little adjustment because it was so close to dead-on accurate right out of the box.

If you buy one, please use the blue analog cable, not the white digital cable. The digital cable shuts off contrast control, which is critical to color management. The analog cable works just fine.

Regards,
Robert Ash
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 26, 2004
Thanks , Barb

I’d love to see this package bundled with Elements for a fair price . ( How about $75 , after rebates)

🙂

Brent
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Aug 26, 2004
Brent, wouldn’t that be nice!
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 27, 2004
Barb,

Looks great.

Pantone ColorVision’s ColorPlus calibration package puts the color back in their cheeks by ensuring that what you see on your CRT, LCD, or notebook screen is what you get in your prints.

Of course using the word "ensuring" is overselling things quite a bit since printers don’t use the monitors’ profiles. It’s actually "helping quite a bit" but at least the reviewer’s heart is in the right place….

Robert
A
AS
Aug 28, 2004
Actually, what Dell makes in real life are Samsung monitors with Dell name on them. So, just check which are better priced, if you go that way. I personally prefer Eizo.

wrote in message
Jason,

Actually, Dell makes a very nice line of LCD monitors that are quite
sensibly priced. Worth checking out.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections